X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any brick house experts??

In Toronto, a home built in 1917 would never have steel lintels (not common practice back then). They would be either cut stone, pre-formed concrete (not poured in place), soldier brick to form an arch, or I have also seen wooden lintels. What you can do is remove the cacked lintel if its not too wide 3-4 feet max and replace with a steel lintel and re-brick on top of it. I have done that many times. Don't forget if its a double brick house (which it probably is) you will need 2 lintels. One inside and one outside. Sometime the inside lintel is made of 2 2x4s and bricks on tops of that. I have worked on one just like that this week. I left the 2x4s in since they are perfect and have been for 100 years. 100 year old double brick construction is a different animal than the framed homes with brick veneer built today.

Comment

sounds like a helical tie job-an excellent solution for many problems when dealing with old and historic masonry -more info click on Helifix link at www.wallrestore.co.uk or give us a shout

Comment

I love to look at restoration of old buildings. I wish that I could have got into that type of work when I was younger.

You folks have some great old buildings over the pond.

shup

Comment

yeh its great to work with old buildings-most of the best over here are 100years plus.
          Only problem is that unless you inherit one in a decent area most folk cant afford to live in them-looking at £300k min for a small one decent area.
          Nice villages are now full of city dwellers with 2nd homes and dead all week.
          Looking at e a possible Canada move to solve my housing problem(oh and to do some cross country ski racing again!)

Comment

Working...
          X