X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any brick house experts??

I'm looking at a reno job on a 1917, 2900sqft, 2-1/2 story house. It's on a full 12" wide cement foundation with a full basement.
    Condition is remarkable, however........on one side of the house there are 3 windows on the main floor. The header (lentil?) above each of these windows in cracked in the midle. All the others in the house are ok.

Anybody here had any old house experience??
    I've never gotten "into" one before.

Do these lentils need to be replaced? They look like they were "poured in place" cement, not cut stone.
    Steel I-beam? Rectangular tubing?

Any & all comments welcome

Re: Any brick house experts??

I believe the Commodores are brick house experts.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Now how did you beat me to that?

"She's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out....."

J.C.

Comment

Wait a minute here.
        I did not know our forum initiated thread drift immediately

This is going to be fun.

Comment

Only way I'd ever go see Lionel Ritchie is if he got back with the Commodores and they all wore those super hero suits from the 70's.

That would be sweet!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            I believe the Commodores are brick house experts.

Rick James maybe???

Comment

Superfreak! Dead.

Have to see pics of your windows though. Being there all on one side makes me lean toward foundation, wall structure, or a combination.

The lentils might have to be replaced as there probably is no "engineered control" over the original poured ones. Meaning there is no consistency in what they will and won't do. Sometimes oldtimers would fantastically overengineer things-and sometimes they wouldn't.

I'd check with a good recommended carpenter, masonry contractor, structural engineer, and maybe even a geological engineer.

Might sound like overkill, but it will help you get things done once.

I like Earth, Wind, and Fire too.

J.C.

Comment

As far as I know you eat "lentils" I think you might want to check out similar links to this http://www.daytonsuperior.com/a02_Lintel07_DA9600.html for LINTELS.

Comment

OMG

I would like to nominate this thread for..
                  "MOST BUTCHERED"

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    OMG

I would like to nominate this thread for..
                    "MOST BUTCHERED"
                    Yep, it doesn't take long for Plumbers and their wife/s to do just that.

Now go ahead and answer the man's question......

Wait a minute, I just saw that he said "all comments are welcome", so I guess it is ok to keep on hijacking the thread...
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Need a little more info--are the cracked lintel's sagging? Is the crack uniform? or larger at the bottom? Pics would definitely be a help here.

Comment

Your discription is definately lacking. Take a couple pics post them up and I am sure you will get some meaningful answers. You say the lintels are concrete and cracked. This is an indication of unequal stresses in the building.
                        Before you tackle this you have to find out what the stresses are and how they are acting on the rest of the building. 1 crack ussually means there are others and if you check up and down on the building you will find the other ones. A good structural engineer would be the first call, and he may or may not recommend a good soils engineer. Your foundation is likely the culprit but without pics it is like walking around in the dark without a light. You bang up your head and shins alot and still don't get anywhere.

Comment

Most lintels will have steel in the body when poured on site, I suspect they may have been pre prepared and then lifted into place. concrete will crack over time and that is why they have steel in the body for structural strength, especially for horizontal structure.If you are really concerned then use steel plate and bolt it to the lintel, personally I would just patch the lintels. regards rufusram

Comment

Just a few thoughts. Pics would help.

are the three windows next to each other?

Is it a crack in the lintel itself ? or in the brickwork at the upper corners of the windows?

Is there a garden adjacent the wall these windows are in? Is it watered frequently?

Is there a downpipe (downspout) near these windows? Does it connect to funtioning drains?

Is the soil reactive clay?

Comment

Pics are coming guys, I've been too busy to get back there.

Thank you for the replys so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X