X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New door needed

I need a new exterior door at camp. Unfortunately the door needs to be non-standard. The one there is 32 1/4 X 79. In the old days you went to the lumber yard, bought a door blank, mortised the hinges, drilled and installed the the lock set and hung the door. Apparently not any more. Neither HD or Lowes has exterior blanks. Even the local lumberyard doesn't have one. Everything is pre-hung. I don't want to make a door but I can see that coming. Tomorrow I plan to investigate salvage yard options.

I asked a builder at HD about it and he suggested I try a trailer place. He said he thought house trailer doors were smaller than house doors. The problem is that if it doesn't fit exactly it can't be cut to size. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Tom

Re: New door needed

Tom,
    Do you have a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store in your area?? Check with your local Habitat HQ, the phone book, etc. If you have a Re-Store near you, you'll find lots and lots and lots of doors of all types and sizes for a fraction of new costs. These come in from demo jobs, overstock, etc. Are all donated to Hab. for Hum. and then Re-Store sells them for a small amount to make some money for their cause. I shop Re-Store in my area for lots of my lumber and millwork, and even hardware needs. My customers love the savings, which I pass on to them.
    Cheers,
    Jim Don

Comment

We have a Habitat for Humanity but I don't know of any retail store. I will check tomorrow.

Thanks,
      Tom

Comment

Tom,
        Looks like Hab. has a Re-Store in Albany, located at 454 N. Pearl St.
        Open to the public on Fridays and Saturdays from 9am-2pm
        From their website:

"The Habitat ReStore is a home improvement resale store. We sell new and gently used construction and home improvement materials. The ReStore provides materials, at low cost, making home improvements possible for anyone regardless of income restraints.

The proceeds raised are used to fund the important work for Capital District Habitat for Humanity. Since we opened two years ago the ReStore has raised over $120,000.00 while also diverting over 85 tons of material from the landfill. Volunteers and donations always needed.

Manager: Emily Collins

Phone: 275-6638"

There ya go,
        Jim Don

Comment

Don't even waste your time wih this one. Resize the door to a rough opening of 82" x what ever width door you want PLUS 2" for the frame. So a 34" wide door would be rough framed 36x82. This will save you time in the future when you want/have to replace the door again. A steel door at H.D with frame cost $125 in Toronto. Takes 20 minutes to install.

Comment

JimDon,
            Things have been crazy around here and I just saw your post re the Habitat for Humanity Re-store in Albany. I will attempt to get there today or tomorow.

Chemeng,
            If I could have done as you suggested I certainly would have. Width is no problem. Heighth is. The top plates are 2x4s and I am already at the bottom of the lower one and need another 3 1/2 inches for a standard pre-hung door. In addition, there is an exposed beam that runs from from the top of the vaulted ceiling to the center of the hinge jam and terminates at the bottom of the top plates. I really don't want to go gouging into that beam.

Thank you,
            -Tom

Comment

Tom, there has to be a recycle/salvage yard for doors and windows and lots of everything in your area. I live in a small town and we have 2 of them...

Now about not getting just the door, I can get "just the door" from Menards, which I have done numerous times. So you should be able to from the other two Big Boxes, go to the contractor desk and talk to those guys.

Besides, you can still buy the prehung door and just take it off. If you need to resize the actual door to fit your frame, be sure to get a door without the predrilled holes, so you can take some off each side to fit, unless its just the height your worried about then its ok to get the predrilled holes....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Went to Habitat For Humanity's, Re-Store in Albany today and what an array of products they had. No exterior door to fit my needs but lots of interior doors. There were plenty of new items from windows to double sliding glass doors both wooden framed and aluminum. Never again will I make cabinets for my shop. From now on it is the Re-Store for me where I can buy cabinets for $10-$15.00 bucks.

Then I went to HD again to check if they had door blanks. I asked a different person from before and indeed, as Garager said, they did have them. I was looking for 9 lights and they didn't have any. Tomorrow I will hit two other HDs and see what they have in stock.

Thank you for all the hints and suggestions.

-Tom

Comment

Tom,
                  I shop my Re-Store in Appleton at least twice a week now. Too bad you're not here -- Solid wood EXTERIOR door at our Re-Store -- $20. With a hydraulic closer attached.

I shop Re-Store because my customers are really feeling the economic pinch right now. Everything I can do to cut their costs, by buying slightly used materials, the better. Customers right now need the help to get things done at less expensive rates, and I'll do what I can to slash their materials costs if I can. A win-win for both of us.
                  Cheers,
                  Jim Don

PS -- Tom, make sure you always keep the greasy side down on those big Cats. LOL

Comment

Jim,

My customers don't seem to have whatever it takes to deal with used material. The door is for me so if it needs to be refinished well.. "What's time to a hog?" But none of my customers that I can think of would consider refinishing a door even if it saved them a couple hundred dollars. They have their hands full being soccer moms and dads. Case in point one of my customers just bought a new - used - house. After they showed me the house I went on Google Earth to look at the surrounding property. Directly behind their house is what appears to be a couple miles of woods. Do they take their 8 year old son out to show him squirrles and chipmunks? Nope, for exercise he goes to soccer, baseball karate etc. They can give him all the exercise he needs for free but they are so used to structured programs they would rather pay.

Sorry for the digression, I could go on and on but won't. There seemed to be an extraordinary amount of kitchen cabinets at the Re-Store, some of it pretty high end. If I was doing a basement remodel that included cabinets I would recommend saving thousands by shopping there. If you are there two or three times a week what do you buy? Are there some things you buy more of than others?

-Tom

P.S Re the CATs, I flipped my first articulated end dump over last month. I have been driving those things on and off since the early 70s and this was my first one to flip. Everybody thought it was funny and I was razzed for the rest of the day.
                    Last edited by Tom W; 09-26-2008, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X