X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• primed places under rain is ok?

I am still working on my wood siding repaint project. Just primed those new replaced cedar sidings and where bare wood can be seen, but no time to paint until a sunny weekend. Thursday night will start raining through saturday. is it ok to leave the primed places under rain? thanks

Re: primed places under rain is ok?

Absolutely, primed wood will shed rain, I'm doing the exact same thing right now. But I'm using Zinssear 123 primer, this stuff is almost like a paint itself and sheds water with no problem....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

thank you, Garager.

I will use that primer next year on my another half of sidings. Where can I get? ACE, Lowes or Homedepot?

Just found the Paint Eater (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053) is a good tool to get rid of cracked paint today. If we (my brother and I) were use it early, we could have done this project already. The result will be much better. But it may ask few disc.

Comment

Hi Garager,

I have bought two types of cedar siding. One is bare wood and one is primed. Do I need to put another coat of primer on the primed siding or just put paint on top of it?

Why I am asking is that coat of primer looks is not water resistence.

thanks
        Last edited by lmei007; 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
          Hi Garager,

I have bought two types of cedar siding. One is bare wood and one is primed. Do I need to put another coat of primer on the primed siding or just put paint on top of it?

Why I am asking is that coat of primer looks is not water resistence.

thanks
          Well, let me say this, I have seen a lot of failed jobs, from pre primed boards, brick molding, etc, its more of a white wash than a primed board isn't it?. I have yet to see a good quality primed wood board. I'm talking the real wood not other products. Yours is wood....

Do you have the time to go over the primed wood right now? Or do you have the time to scape and redo everything in a couple of years????
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            Do you have the time to go over the primed wood right now? Or do you have the time to scape and redo everything in a couple of years????
            How to go over the primed wood? sand off all the existing primer or just put another layer of primer?

Comment

A good primer like the 123 will go right over it. Then go and put two coats of primer on your unprimed shingles........
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                A good primer like the 123 will go right over it. Then go and put two coats of primer on your unprimed shingles........
                why two coats on umprimed board? because primed shingles have two? or generally speaking we need two coats of primer.

Comment

I pretty much 2 coat primer on wood. Why, I really want my paint bonding to the primer not half wood and half primer. You ever scraped off paint and start to think that they never primed the building before they painted. Chances are it was primed, but there wasn't much of a bonding between the paint and the primer, because it went on like white wash and the primer just sort of disappeared after time.

If you can roll or spray the primer, then you should be thick enough. Since both techniques produce more paint on the surface...

Comment

Ok, I see. Can I put 123 primer on top of my primer which comes from Sherwin-Williams? Or I should use the same primer?

Comment

http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?categoryid=1

I would suggest this primer, to me its the best.... I have never bought it at Sherwin-Williams, but I wouldn't doubt that they carry it. Just about any hardware store and big boxes carry this primer now. Not long ago, it was for contractors only and a cost of $50.00 a gal. Now I believe its around $15.00 a gal or $65.00 for a 5 gal. pail....

Comment

Yes, I found it and i can get it on local ACE store. My question is does it ok to put one primer on top of another brand primer? Can they bind together nicely?

Comment

Sure, it should be fine, unless that primer is chalky. (Test) Feel the texture of your pre primed boards and remember how it felt when running your hand across it, then after you apply the new primer and the Zinsser primer dries, feel that one, you will know the difference immediately and I'm sure you'll go "wow, what a difference in quality.

Comment

Garager,

How many years the house is still good after your paint job on average?

Comment

Working...
                            X