Sheetmetalist Expert in here??????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheetmetalist Expert in here??????

I have a huge metal roof to do, coming up sometime soon. This is a complicated roof to say the least, no problem I can handle the roof. But this house has a steeple and I will be making the steeple roof out of copper, this means there is no room for error, or it'll put a huge dent in my pocket.

Octagon shape, about 5' at the bottom and tapers to a point (of course) with a run I'm guessing around 12'-14', I'll measure to be exact later. I'm more leaning to having a Sheetmetalist do this at a shop, then we'll transport it to the site and crane her up and over. It would seem to be a lot faster and safer.

Anybody in MN or Northern Wisconsin, looking for some extra work??????

I have talked to 2 guys in this line of work, here in my home town, both turned me down because its not the type of work that they actually do, they are more into building boxes and ductwork. Being that this is a tapered seam job, which is harder, they didn't want to be responsible for any mishaps.

So I either find someone, or I piece it in and cap it, but that wouldn't look as nice. Who can handle a job like this, are there Union guys that do this sort of task????

You guys help me with my last problem, insulated granite panels. Help me find someone who is a real Experienced Sheetmetalist.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Sheetmetalist Expert in here??????

we have a siding ,roofing and spouting shop by us that do that type of stuff ,did you look into a shop like that
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

This isn't your typical roofing job but someone did turn me onto an outfit who does specialties. I'll have to contact them and see if they have a rep. up here. I'm still looking for someone in my neck of the woods, anyhow. This isn't a real bug hurry, but I wanna get a head start on this part of the job....

http://www.coppercraft.com/product.php?product=11

Thanks Hawk.....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I think a roofing shop is a better choice too. Why can it not be fabbed in their shop and assembled on site? If you have to build a mockup frame on the ground for them to fab the metal panels to. Might be cheaper than bringing a rig in.

What type of metal roof and material is there now? Standing seam, soldered seam, other? How old if the building?

How high is this? Do you have room to bring in a rig and setup?
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Theres a couple shops around here that could do it. One is a specialty architectural sheetmetal shop. The last time I checked a 3x10 sheet of 16oz soft copper (not cold rolled) was over $800. If you need contact info I'd be happy to refer you.

Andy

Comment

From your description, I would call this a turret more than a steeple. And your are correct - the problems with turrets is the ridging.

If it was fully round then I could see dropping a cap on it. If it is octagonal with ridges, it gets a little different.

Find an old time copper roof guy, if one exists in your area. Ask around - they would have done a soldered copper roof countless times. I remember talking to one years ago - seems they used to have to be trained and licensed just like any type of trade.

I assume you're doing a sheet steel type of roof, rather than a metal shingle. Or is the customer just looking for a particular "look"?

With a shingle you could do a better job of the ridges.

If you get a guy in, make sure you get an upfront price. Last time I dd a job with a turret, the turret was probably one third the cost of the whole job.

Time-consuming/expensive/difficult to do. Which is why most guys want nothing to do with it.

In my experience, and for future reference, a metal shingle is easier to flash and mold to difficult, cut-up roofing jobs. Might save you some searching on the next job.

Then again, just my opinion. Any pics of the structure in question?
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              I think a roofing shop is a better choice too. Why can it not be fabbed in their shop and assembled on site? If you have to build a mockup frame on the ground for them to fab the metal panels to. Might be cheaper than bringing a rig in.

What type of metal roof and material is there now? Standing seam, soldered seam, other? How old if the building?

How high is this? Do you have room to bring in a rig and setup?
              There is no big roofing shop in my area Bob, Duluth is 86,000 people and I've never seen any roofing company there do anything this fancy....

Fiberglass shingles, which was done by a kid, which I had to fix part of his job last fall and I told these HO's that they need to get their roof done right. Its a big mess.

Lots of room for a rig, not a problem at all and no power lines or cable lines.

Height is at 2 stories from soffits, peak would be around 32'-34', because of basement too, this is just a guess at the peak height.

I'm thinking flat seam, maybe standing seam. I like the standing seam look for something like this, but it is the HO's decision. The pitch is so great, that water penetrating will be tough though.

Ruudacguy, thank you.... I will keep this in mind, at this time I'm not in a panic just yet. Wow $800.00 a sheet, I was thinking around 5-6 grand for the material, to do the steeple. I guess it'll be a little more than that, more like 9-10 grand now....

Comment

My first thought without seeing it is to bend the copper around the steeple, rather than piecing it individually with standing seams on every ridge. With 10' metal you should be able to get around the base with 2 sheets. I'd do a hammered interlock seam at the 2 end joints. As I started stacking sheets up the steeple I'd probably do a hemmed overlap and solder. You could do a standing seam on the horizontal overlaps but there'd probably be more of a chance for leaks. Looks easy on the computer.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                X