X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cats+crap+carpet

Looking for some suggestions on a home that needs repair from cat-related damages. The house needs complete carpet replacement from top to bottom. Any suggestions for removing the urine/feces stains and odors that have probably passed through to the sub-floor? The home had a cat(s) plus an elderly man that could not keep up with the cat(s). The cat(s) have been removed and the elderly man is recovering from a stroke in a local hospital. The cat(s) will not be back......
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by reConx; 09-25-2008, 10:27 AM.

Re: cats+crap+carpet

I would suggest that you treat that house as an extreme bio hazard and wear full respiration equipment when working in that environment. Neighbours buddy did some reno work in a house like that and got some disease that attacked his immune system and nearly killed him. To this day he needs a walker to get around at 40. Wood is porous and when exposed to that over long periods of time it will be saturated so no amount of cleaning works - rip and replace, just hope the joists are not saturated

Comment

ever heard of a ozone maker/machine?

Comment

I have heard there are some enzyme based products that will effectively kill or destroy the Oder, but I do not know what they are, one may want to check if there is a pet supply store in your area, like PetSmart or similar.

this one is the highest rated one on the PetSmart web page, http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752005

Google search on enzyme pet stain removers,
        http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+stain+remover
        Last edited by BHD; 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          I have heard there are some enzyme based products that will effectively kill or destroy the Oder, but I do not know what they are, one may want to check if there is a pet supply store in your area, like PetSmart or similar
          BHD thanks, I think the enzyme treatment may work in some parts of the house but I think WBrooks is on to something about transmission of diseases such as Toxoplasmosis. Some rooms are completely ruined by feces and urine. Removing the carpet is one challenge but I fear the sub-floor are or have been soaked. WBrook's BioHazard recommendation makes a lot of sense and I think I will let an inspector determine if condemnation of the home is an option. On one investment property I was looking at the real estate agent revealed that the sub-floor was coated/painted the heavily soiled sub-floors. In your construction experience does this coating exist?
          Last edited by reConx; 10-01-2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

somebody might find this helpful.

a contractor up here uses one to get the smell out of rental units that had animals.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen...0and%20Purpose

Comment

I think there are just products to kill the odor. I think it just disguises it momentarily. Once the wood is saturated I think it needs to be replaced. I don't know why but cat urine is extremely potent. I don't think it will come out.
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

huskies love cats up here.

Comment

matches and gasoline

Comment

When your dealing with an older man you have to wonder who was really peeing on the floor. I bought a house 24 years ago where a little old lady had 11 cats that she never let outside and it was a good thing I was a plumber with a bad nose because people were coming out of this place gagging. I got a guy in there that put a bleach compound on the floor every day for a week. This was before restoration services existed. When the new carpet and paint went in all was well.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                      When your dealing with an older man you have to wonder who was really peeing on the floor. I bought a house 24 years ago where a little old lady had 11 cats that she never let outside and it was a good thing I was a plumber with a bad nose because people were coming out of this place gagging. I got a guy in there that put a bleach compound on the floor every day for a week. This was before restoration services existed. When the new carpet and paint went in all was well.
                      That other source of stain/odor is something that did not cross my mind because I thought it had to be the cats because of the obvious evidence. Out of respect for the owner I promised him to I would get the place cleaned up as much as possible because no one should live like that. Enzyme treatment>disposable shopvac>new carpet>NO cats! Just trying to help out the old guy.....

Comment

What happens is that you smell the result of bacterial action. You have to kill the bacteria. That is why the bleach process worked, it killed the bacteria.

Your pal might be a nice older fellow and the sentiment you express to help him is worthy but you might want to pay attention to the biohazard aspect. Sometimes you have to say, "Sorry I am not equipped to handle this."

-Tom
                        Last edited by Tom W; 10-02-2008, 07:04 AM.

Comment

I recently had my cats rip up some carpet by 2 of my bedroom doors. I ended up having to cut a square of carpet from the closet to swap with that in the hallway. Doesn't quite look right, but much better than it did.
                          metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

Don a mask, remove the carpet, and scrape all pad off of the floor. Coat the wood in bleach (10 % solution), this will kill the offenders. The first bleach application will kill any bacterial contamiantion. Once you have allowed the bleach to soak in and work, it could take a couple of applications, there is a product called Ozium, which is ozone in a can. The ozone will oxidize any mateirals left that could cause the odors. Once you get to this point and the house does not smell any more, paint the floors with a good exterior paint, or you can also put self-stick plastic runner on top of the pad which will keep the "stuff" in the carpet and out of the pad and wood for subsequent renters. I have placed the self-stick plastic on all of my padding, it makes a little bit of nosie when you walk on it, but cuts cost considerably when it is time to replace the carpet.

Comment

We have had luck with SCOE 10x. It's reasonably priced, easy to mix and quite effective.

The alternate - cut it out and start off fresh.

Comment

Working...
                              X