X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played in the mud today!

I had a fun day today doing some roadwork. Installed 4.5'x3.5' concrete box culvert. I uploaded some pics for the enjoyment of others.

Attached Files
    Last edited by wrench spinner; 09-30-2008, 06:04 PM.

Re: Played in the mud today!

Some fun and a nice day to do that kind of work. I hope you wrapped that culvert with something before backfilling.

-Tom

Comment

Geo textile under the 1" of gravel underneath then the geotech will spec the final backfill procedure. It was a great day to be out of the office.

Comment

We started dirt work on a new bridge a couple days ago. Today the clearing guys came in. I love to watch those feller-bunchers work. I told the foreman that if they ever wanted to hire someone to just sit and watch his machine work to keep me in mind. This operator was pretty good. He told me he had been at operating it for a couple years and that it took him about six months just to feel moderately comfortable. To see those things grab the tree, saw it and then lay it on the ground amazes me.

-Tom

Comment

There is an outfit we use, from your neck of the woods, has these three wheeled Temco Feller Bunchers... Those things are crazy!! I have seen a guy grab about 10 trees with one, tilt them back and go!!!

Comment

i saw a picture of a tree once.

Comment

The state just installed the same type of culvert not too far from my house.
              Took them over a week working 6am-7pm.
              Had two 6" pumps running for 5 days.

Whats the advantage/need for concrete culvert in a cold weather environment. I'd think the constant freeze/thaw cycle wwould degrade the cement a lot faster then hdpe.

I don't see why they didn't just use hdpe pipe here.
              I know the finish depth will only end up being 10'-15' deep and I've installed it over 18' deep.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

NYSDOT for ya! No plastic pipe within the State Right Of Way, same goes for CT, but you can still use Corrugated metal pipe... and of course the state themselves just sury riggs it however they want when they do the Job!

Comment

NYSDOT must be kind of fickle. We have bored and pulled HDPE on-line and on-grade a number of times on I-87, four times at the new interchange at Newburg, and on the free portion North of Albany. But, there was a failure on an 8' culvert 30' deep on an interstate up here and they wouldn't let us reline and grout it because as you said, "No plastic." Stupid. We supplied every type of supporting documentation imaginable to no avail. We could have saved the state millions. I wonder how much power individual engineers can wield within an engineering district.

The EIC of the relining job told me that the area of influence, pressure from tires on the roadbed, radiated down and was dispersed in an INVERSE pyramid effect. Didn't make sense to me, a non-engineer, so I contacted one of my engineer pals who works at RPI, who contacted a soils engineer there. He sent me drawings, formulas and way more stuff than I needed to prove the engineer wrong. So... I see the engineer on another job and ask him to retell me the reason for not installing the relined pipe and he tells me the same inverted pyramid story. He had it completely backward. His ignorance cost the state millions.

Another engineering story. Woman engineer fresh out of school. Private apartment complex development near Newburg. She doesn't like the color of the bricks. Big meeting. Salesman tells her no problem we can paint the bricks and it will last for 20 years. Woman astounded and very indignantly says these buildings have to last for at least 50 years. Salesman tells her we have 20 year, 50 year, 80 year and if you want it even 100 year paint. Woman says 100 year paint isn't necessary and orders the 50 year paint for her bricks. We are pissing our pants trying not to laugh. As a corrolary to the story a few days later a couple truckloads of bricks arrive all painted. Everything is OK except that the big goofs at the brickyard just painted the outside of the cubes without even removing the straps. Each brick on the outside of the cube had a big non-painted stripe down the middle and the bricks on the inside and all on the bottom weren't painted at all. I drove by the complex a few years later and the bricks on the building seemed to me the same color as the originals that had been delivered in the first place. Funny.

-Tom

Comment

Nice day for work! I personally hate working in the mud though.
                    metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

Working...
                    X