Painting in cooler temperatures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting in cooler temperatures

I'd like to be able to paint some wooden windows but with the cooler weather I'm not sure it will be worth the effort. Most exterior latex paint says you can apply the paint if the temperature is above 50F. We are getting highs of 50 to 60F (10 to 15C) but at night the temperatures are going as low as 36F (2C). Am I compromising the quality of my work? I am interested in hearing your experiences.
    Andrew

Re: Painting in cooler temperatures

I don't like painting anything under 55-60. Especially when I know it could be wet or freeze. I've done it because I had to and have had it go both ways. Have had it wash off, freeze, and even sag. And I've done it also with no problems.

I would go with the manufacture and your paint supplier for your area.

shup

Comment

A number of years ago, probably about '96 or '97, Sherwin Williams had a paint that could be applied to surfaces in the 40s. I used it on a porch and never had a call back so maybe it worked. Come to think about it I never got a call for any more work from the customer so maybe it didn't.

For woodworking reasons I have both a moisture meter and an Infrared Thermometer. I use one or both, when necessary, to determine if the exterior material falls within the manufacturers established parameters for painting.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
        A number of years ago, probably about '96 or '97, Sherwin Williams had a paint that could be applied to surfaces in the 40s. I used it on a porch and never had a call back so maybe it worked. Come to think about it I never got a call for any more work from the customer so maybe it didn't.

For woodworking reasons I have both a moisture meter and an Infrared Thermometer. I use one or both, when necessary, to determine if the exterior material falls within the manufacturers established parameters for painting.

-Tom
        I worked there and it was good down to 35 degrees in fact is was called low temp 35. Most painters down this way would still use regular paint at 50 degree weather but make sure you get all the painting done so it has a few hours in the higher temp of the day.

Comment

I thought I recalled 35 degrees but that seemed too low a temperature.

Was the stuff any good?

Tom

Comment

The quality is comparable with the retail mid grade,15 year paint, A-100.

Comment

I have painted the inside of walk in coolers (33-40) with oil based paints(Rustolium, or Ben Moore Industrial), just takes about a full day and a hlaf to dry.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                I have painted the inside of walk in coolers (33-40) with oil based paints(Rustolium, or Ben Moore Industrial), just takes about a full day and a hlaf to dry.
                The problem he is inquiring about is painting with Latex(water based) in temps under 50 degrees. The paint can freeze or frost due to the water.
                Oil based paints dry based on heat and humidity, so while a freezer might be cold it is not humid and as long as the temp is above the freezing point for the oil based paint then you will not see the issue you would with latex.

Comment

Working...
                X