Roxul or Pink Fiberglass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roxul or Pink Fiberglass?

I will be insulating my garage walls and I would like your opinions on whether one type of insulation is better than another - Roxul or Pink Fiberglass?
    I have already decided not to spray foam because the cost is quite high in this area. The walls are open 2x4 studs that are sheathed with some kind of fibrous black material (likely done in the 70's) and then the exterior is finished with vertical cedar tongue-in-groove siding.
    Andrew

Re: Roxul or Pink Fiberglass?

Can't say I know anything about Roxul. Maybe the East coast gents know of it. The little I read on it doing a Google search was I didn't find anything on R-Value and it costs more. Also it said it can be hard to find.

Like the Ideal of the fire part of it but don't think I would use it because of the cost and finding it.

There was some talk about blow in here awhile back that has made me think about it. I think it was Garager that was talking about it.

shup

Comment

AS an insulation contractor, Roxul hasn't shown me enough yet. There are at least two BIB systems no mentioned yet. Celluose has the best R value, is treated fire retardant and insects. Fiberglass is rated the same
      R value although my IR lamps never agreed. Any BIB system is 100% efficient, but requires special equipment and skills while anybody can install a R13 batt. My take would be fiberglass batts for a garage.

Comment

We get alot of the Roxul, but 99% of what we use it for is as filler before we install fireproofing sealants. Its ALOT more expensive becasue of the fireproofing content, not for its R value.
        http://www.ContractorChat.com

Comment

I like the Roxul, not much more money, better R value but most of all it does not get wet like fiberglass. The fibrous black material is tar dipped ten test, with your cedar cladding you have to keep up on the maintenance in order to maintain a waterproof envelope. For this reason I would put in the Roxul to keep the mold down if your happen to get a leak between maintenance of the exterior.
          Roxul is readily available at home depot up here

Comment

Working...
          X