Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorting out "green"

Sorting out Green

What does green mean to you? To most it means saving the planet from global warming. Responsible use of the earth’s natural resources. Saving energy and perhaps money also.
    Here’s what it really means. Let’s say you are the CEO of a large manufacturing company that makes plumbing fixtures. You have a pretty good market for your wares in new construction and remodeling but let’s face it. Not many people just up and decide to replace their toilet on a whim. Especially if it’s working fine. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could find some way to jack up your toilet sales? Sure it would. It would put more money in your pockets and maybe even the stock holders would get some benefit. So how about we pal around with some Washington lobbyist. Let’s buy him dinner and drinks. Get him a date. Play some golf. Stuff his pockets with the green stuff. Lets convince him to convince our legislators that we really need to change all the toilets for the sake of the planet. Never mind that these new toilets don’t flush worth a damn and you have to hit the handle four times to flush the poo. After all it’s not about convieniance, it’s about the planet.
    The green movement is with out a doubt the most clever marketing scheme of all time. The entire population is aware of it and a good many of them have bought into it. In fact I’ll bet ninety nine percent bought into it without doing five minutes worth of research on the subject. Green has become a part of our vocabulary. If it’s green, it must be good. Who decides what is and is not green? The manufacturers do, that’s who. If you put the green sticker on your product, you appeal to just about everyone. Heck we all want to do our part, right? Green has been packaged and sold to an entire population of folks eager to get on the band wagon because it’s the right thing to do. P.T. Barnum said it best over a hundred years ago. There’s one born every second.
    sigpic

Re: sorting out "green"

Thank you Madison avenue!
    I agree with all you have said!

I recall when I had to buy Hubble outlets for a hospital project....gotta have that
    "green dot" and they are black and white, indicating hospital grade and UL544],
    [I think, it's been a while].
    Then I looked at their industrial grade outlet they were yellow no green dot but half the price and in this specific case mechanically identical. I spoke with Hubble engineers and they indeed verified the mechanical and electrical components were exactly the same except for the color and "green dot"

The cost per outlet well, in 1990 was around $25.00 for hospital grade and $10.00 for industrial grade. bottom line though policies delineated hospital grade so after long hours of battles with administration they finally came up with the extra money to buy the correct outlet! The administrator wanted me to buy the Home Depot 99 cent outlet and I had to refuse...enough said or I'll go into a long rant!

Now I'm fully aware of the various qualities of products from consumer to military users and their associated costs. I just believe the new GREEN movement as you stated is more of a scam and a way to sell us dumb consumers newer and better and expensive stuff that has less quality and reliability of our older 1980 vintage stuff!

I have a 1966 vintage toilet on a septic system and two 1990 vintage toilets..I've had more challenges with the 1990 toilets and not a single need to plunge the 1966 toilet
    no s***!!!!!!

oh it cools down to 50 at night here in AZ where is Al Gore and global warming now that it's fall????

Cactus Man

Comment

I agree too, it's taken on a life of its own. For me, I guess my "tag line" below says it all, as does my 3 foot wide bumper sticker on my truck that says the same thing.

Mark
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Big business is counting on the fact that human beings are for the most part as easy to sell to as cattle being led off a cliff.
        I wish I would see more people utilizing there ability to do the best with what they have to work with to set the pace needed to actually do something with "Green Awareness".

Comment

Excellent remarks from everyone, I guess it starts here, for those of us that have access to "green" rated fixtures we can be the independent watchdogs of the industry. We know what works and what we would stay away from. We can also evaluate the manufactures claims and provide our own thoughts.

Comment

Yet another form of control to alter thought and life

Comment

There's a lot of different meaning in a green build or change over. Doesn't all company who make products, dream of an easier way of selling their products. One which also, helps them sell more. I do believe anyone and everyone that can add the word green, will try to do so.

But green also means, planting a nice soon to be shady tree/s on the south side of their homes. It also means using the sun to heat their home, in a passive solar way and recycling materials.

If a company really means their product is an energy efficient one or very Earth friendly, I for one would welcome their product out on the open market.

In my area, green is just now starting to come around and I do welcome it. I'm no tree huger, but I want my grandchildren to enjoy this planet too. Theres no reason why a company cannot claim to be a green/Earth friendly company, as long as the majority of the way you do your work is, Earth friendly and you try to recycle and use green products.

This would be a tough one for Plumbers, I would think. Not to many people can do Geo Thermal heating, not all your furnaces are 95% efficiency at the install time. Hot water heaters are doing better, and as far as A/C goes in my area, well thats almost like seeing a furnace in Southern California, so I can't respond to that one. I think I'm going a little astray here, so I'll just sign off now....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I saw a news clip about a family that after building a new home, were all sick with headaches and nausea. Turns out the outgassing from the OSB, caulk, carpet and paint had caused the air in their home to be completely toxic.
                The point being that there are many aspects to this green thing: environmental, health and even national security.
                Try to look past the marketing and educate yourself on the fundamental concepts and you'll see that there is logic and merit to conserving water, banning formaldehyde and fueling your car with the sun instead of Saudi Arabia's black gold.
                You bash Al Gore, but his efforts and the green movement are reducing our dependence on middle-eastern oil, and therefore increasing our national security.
                Every time you fill your gas tank, a small portion of that money goes directly to armed men who are trying to kill us.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
                  I saw a news clip about a family that after building a new home, were all sick with headaches and nausea. Turns out the outgassing from the OSB, caulk, carpet and paint had caused the air in their home to be completely toxic.
                  The point being that there are many aspects to this green thing: environmental, health and even national security.
                  Try to look past the marketing and educate yourself on the fundamental concepts and you'll see that there is logic and merit to conserving water, banning formaldehyde and fueling your car with the sun instead of Saudi Arabia's black gold.
                  You bash Al Gore, but his efforts and the green movement are reducing our dependence on middle-eastern oil, and therefore increasing our national security.
                  Every time you fill your gas tank, a small portion of that money goes directly to armed men who are trying to kill us.

Yep, and an even larger portion of it goes to the federal government in the way of taxes. Al Gore is a hypocrit and an idiot.

Give me one speck of tangible proof that green is reducing or dependance on foreign oil. Just one speck of irrefutable proof.

You have been brainwashed and bamboozled just like all Obama supporters that are so convinced that this guy will "change" everything for the better.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    [/color][/size]
                    Give me one speck of tangible proof that green is reducing or dependance on foreign oil. Just one speck of irrefutable proof.
                    My dad and I just bought a car that has a diesel engine converted to run on waste vegetable oil. So instead of a hundred dollars a month for imported petroleum products, we collect grease from restaurants that would otherwise throw the stuff out.
                    I'd call that a pretty big speck.

Comment

Well that's just fine and dandy for you, but hardly a solution for the masses is it?
                      sigpic

Comment

[/color][/size]
                        You have been brainwashed and bamboozled just like all Obama supporters that are so convinced that this guy will "change" everything for the better.

Both candidates have promised funding for green technology. Politics have nothing to do with it.

Comment

Well that's just fine and dandy for you, but hardly a solution for the masses is it?
                          Of course green fuels are for the masses.
                          Some will do grease cars like me, others can buy the Chevy Volt which will run on electricity (domestic coal), others can buy a compressed natural gas Honda Civic and get on the T.Boone Pickens plan, some will stick with ethanol that's grown here in Wisconsin...
                          It's no pie in the sky, Norway already has a hydrogen fuel cell highway that spans their entire country.

Comment

Do the math.
                            sigpic

Comment

Drifting Back On Topic.....

I am a General Contractor and we do build these so-called 'Green' buildings (specifically LEED). I have very mixed opinions on the subject...

1. Green is a VERY fuzzy and nebulous term. It means 15 different things to 10 people.

2. Elements of green are not bad at all - sort of a 'why not?' when it comes to building from rapidly renewable, high recycled content materials, etc. It's not a bad thing.

3. Administratively speaking, building Green (LEED) is a PITA. Lots of paperwork, chain of custody, onerous submittal process, etc.

4. Inherently most ALL 'Green' buildings are more energy efficient than traditional builds. There may be a small amount of increased first costs to the owner but the ROI is very good.

5. Schmucks like Gore and the like have really ridden the wave and reaped the benefits. They are creating hype and near hysteria over global warming (of which there is ZERO evidence that it is human driven) and can't lose either way it goes. It's a Win-Win for them.

6. Dang it -I did have a #6 and got sidetracked....

That's all. For now.

Comment

Working...
                              X