Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partition wall -- distance from furnace?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition wall -- distance from furnace?

Hey everyone,

I've got a gas furnace and hot water tank in my basement which I'll soon be finishing. Ideally, I'd like to enclose each of these in their own unfinished section in the basement. What I'd like to know, however, is how far away a partition wall should be from either to be safe?

My current plan has the furnace in the corner of the unfinished room, with it's back and side to partition walls. Ideally, with only about 1.5ft between the furnace and the wall, but I don't know if this is safe. The "open" end faces into the room.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Partition wall -- distance from furnace?

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've got a gas furnace and hot water tank in my basement which I'll soon be finishing. Ideally, I'd like to enclose each of these in their own unfinished section in the basement. What I'd like to know, however, is how far away a partition wall should be from either to be safe?

My current plan has the furnace in the corner of the unfinished room, with it's back and side to partition walls. Ideally, with only about 1.5ft between the furnace and the wall, but I don't know if this is safe. The "open" end faces into the room.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff.......I'm not a furnace expert, however I have noticed "furnace installation instructions" included with the owners manual package for several furnaces I have owned over the years. I suggest you do a google search with the name and model number of the furnace. Usually you can obtain and download that info.
    good luck.....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      Jeff.......I'm not a furnace expert, however I have noticed "furnace installation instructions" included with the owners manual package for several furnaces I have owned over the years. I suggest you do a google search with the name and model number of the furnace. Usually you can obtain and download that info.
      good luck.....Ray
      The clearances to combustibles for each side is also on the name plate of my boiler.

Comment

Your local building code will trump any owner's manual information.
        Call your local permit office in London and get your answer straight from the horse's mouth.
        Say hi to Gordon Brown for me.

Comment

Don't forget that one day some unlucky guy will have to replace that furnace....don't just go by minimum clearances......

Comment

Just a few thoughts:

1. Are these items going to be in the same space or separate areas?
            2. Is the basement considered conditioned space (e.g. is it heated/cooled with your HVAC system?)?
            3. How new (or old) are these appliances?
            a. If old(er) are the exhaust vent tubes metallic or PVC?
            b. If new(er) are the exhaust vent tubes PVC?

OK here's the reason for the questions. If the basement is/will be considered 'conditioned space' then it is against pretty much every building code to have a combustion appliance in the living space. That said - if they are newer and power vented then that's a different story.

If the exhaust is metallic then most likely this is not a power vented appliance (also not 'High Efficiency') and will have to be treated differently:
            • You will need to add in a means to allow combustion air to get to the appliances. This can be achieved with PVC or other material literally ducting air to/from the appliance enclosure.
            • Further you will need a second air path for the space - I have a drawing for this that I'll try to locate. Alternately you can use a heat exchanger/ERV.
            • Do NOT put the water heater and HVAC in the same enclosure! They need a demising wall between them (nothing fancy).
            • An alternative (although not really a good one) is to use louvered doors but these are a little risky and not very fashionable
            If interested I'll see if I can locate my drawings on this stuff.

HTH--

Comment

Working...
            X