Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What is the best way to match spray/knock-down drywall texture?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to match spray/knock-down drywall texture?

I removed a portion of an interior wall in my garage in order to make room for my lawn tractor. I want to build a wall to connect to the existing wall and have questions about matching the texture on the walls. The drywaller sprayed the walls and knocked down the spatter after it set up. Is the best way to tape and mud the corners and then re-spray and knock down?

Re: What is the best way to match spray/knock-down drywall texture?

Hire a pro to match the texture.Realistically its impossible for anyone but a pro to match a texture.Im not a pro but pretty good at it and its extremely difficult for me to get close even with years of practice.
    Sam

Comment

I am also not a pro at this, but I have done a few knock downs and tried to patch jobs. I have seen this older gent do a few patch up jobs and I must say he was damn good at it. The one trick that stood out, was do not make a box/square look before you start spraying. Irregular lines following the low spots on the wall, will give it a nicer finished look. But no matter what, it will still be noticeable. Only one way to stop a patch look, and that is to do the entire wall or ceiling all over again, strip it down and redo.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

a lot of experience, and some luck. a irregular area like said is better, wall to wall,

also I find when I spray that I use a circular motion and stand back some distance, If you don't go in a circular motion I see others end up with a form of a line or a pattern from the spray gun, the consistency of the mud is a big one as well, just a tad big thicker of thinner, can make a world of difference in matching and the hole size in the gun makes some difference,

mix up some spray a sample and knock down and see how it looks, (may have to let it dry and even paint to see how close you are, (put the mud in a sealed bucket, and save until your satisfied and do the wall), feather out the existing texture to be able to blend in to it or corner to corner, measure the mud and water mix and record so if you run short you can mix more, and let the mud set for 30 Min's after mixing, and remix, many times the mud will appear to get stiffer was it finishes up absorbing the water to thin it, so if you mix and spray in the first 10 Min's the mud out of the same bucket 30 Min's later may not be the same consistency, so let it finish "Slaking", (do not do this on a self setting mud, follow the directions there on the sack)
        Last edited by BHD; 10-25-2008, 09:49 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I plan to hire out the drywall finishing because I know I would not be able to get a match doing the finishing myself. If it was smooth, it wouldn't be a problem for me to do the work.

I will hang the drywall myself - I just wondered if I should do anything special at the inside corners?

Comment

Originally posted by khe View Post
            I removed a portion of an interior wall in my garage in order to make room for my lawn tractor. I want to build a wall to connect to the existing wall and have questions about matching the texture on the walls. The drywaller sprayed the walls and knocked down the spatter after it set up. Is the best way to tape and mud the corners and then re-spray and knock down?

If it were orange peel a monkey could match it, but knock down isnt as easy. I get lucky because most of the knock down patches I do they did such a bad job with the original that i have NO trouble getting a good match.

Comment

Working...
            X