X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing header

I need to replace the header over a sliding glass window. It spans 9 feet. The header is 4x10. The trimmer and king studs need to also be replaced. I'm debating on whether to tackle this job or not. The wall is a load bearing wall that holds up one end of a cathedral ceiling. The trusses are 2x8 and are cut at the top plate. It extends outside at a width of 4in for the outlook. I have a poured concrete slab patio outside. I would build a temporary wall outside to support the roof while doing the work. I could also build a temporary wall on the inside if that is the best method.

Also, if I contract this out, is it better to just hire a general contractor. He will only be subbing out the framing. I will do the rest (drywall and siding). I could call a framer/carpenter directly, but I'm having a hard time finding one in the phone book. It seems like they all work under GC's. Can someone give me a ball park figure on the cost to contract it out?

Re: Replacing header

What is your exterior(stucco).Can't price it if I can't see it.How much experience do you have?You got a sawzall?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      What is your exterior(stucco).Can't price it if I can't see it.How much experience do you have?You got a sawzall?
      The siding is t1-11 (pine siding). I have all the power tools needed. I'm just looking for the framing alone. Basically, I would need trimmers and king studs replaced on both sides, as well as the header. The cripple studs are just short 6 in pieces. I might need a portion of the top plate replaced. It is a double top plate with only the lower top plate being slightly damaged.

Comment

SOUNDS easy,nothing too complicated.Unfortunately it always seems like when I bid on something sight unseen I always tend to get bit in the arse.

Your saying the gable truss is doubled up and outlooks?It is also sitting on the two top plates then the header?
        How much wall is left on either side of the kings?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          SOUNDS easy,nothing too complicated.Unfortunately it always seems like when I bid on something sight unseen I always tend to get bit in the arse.

Your saying the gable truss is doubled up and outlooks?It is also sitting on the two top plates then the header?
          How much wall is left on either side of the kings?
          The trusses are 2x8 and have a birds mouth cut to make them flush with the top plate. It then extends out to the exterior. When they cut the truss, the cut the remaining truss past the exterior wall. Therefore, it transitions into a 2x4 after the top plate. It is only sitting on the top plates. The header runs across the sliding glass window. It then has cripple studs on top that supports the top plates. The project is in the middle of the house, so the wall extends a good distance.

Comment

Why are you replacing this framing?

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
              Why are you replacing this framing?

Termites

Comment

Originally posted by bluefitness View Post
                Termites
                You do not need a general on this.
                Call a local lumber yard (not a big box store) and they'll give you a reference for a good carpenter.
                This sounds like a one day job, ballpark $50 an hour.
                But really, you should be fine trying this yourself.
                Post some pics if you have more questions once you open it up.

Comment

Here is what the framing looks like:

The cripple studs on top of the header are about 5 inches long. I was thinking about increasing the size of the header to 4x12. The cripple studs will then only be 3 inches. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I am also going to double up the king studs.

Comment

Push your new header up to the plates and fill in under with a couple of 2x4's(flat) (eliminate the 3" cripples)

Comment

Working...
                    X