Steal Door pulling out of door frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steal Door pulling out of door frame

Hello all. I have a friend who owns a Condo and her front door needs some help. Its a big steal door and the hinge is firmly attached to the door but the frame side of the hinge is pulling out. Her condo association says it is her problem as the door is her responsibility, even though the issue is with the door frame not the door or the hinge. Longer screws where tried but they already go through the frame all the way.

Is there anything that can be done with out ripping apart the frame and re-enforcing it? Do they make hinges with the frame side using thicker screws maybe? Its really not safe and I'd like to help her get it fixed.

Thanks,

Howie

Re: Steal Door pulling out of door frame

Originally posted by howie777 View Post
    Hello all. I have a friend who owns a Condo and her front door needs some help. Its a big steal door and the hinge is firmly attached to the door but the frame side of the hinge is pulling out. Her condo association says it is her problem as the door is her responsibility, even though the issue is with the door frame not the door or the hinge. Longer screws where tried but they already go through the frame all the way.

Is there anything that can be done with out ripping apart the frame and re-enforcing it? Do they make hinges with the frame side using thicker screws maybe? Its really not safe and I'd like to help her get it fixed.

Thanks,

Howie
    If you can't find anything better, and don't care about getting the screws out, you can use super glue.

Comment

I am guessing here the frame is a wood frame?

one could to drill to enlarge the hole in the hinge some (may need a counter sink as well to get the screw flush), and try a larger diameter screw, or one could make a plate of of steel and drill and tap holes in it (same as the hinge), and take of the brick molding and slip it in behind the wood frame and use stove bolts to fasten it , but put some construction adhesive, ( that way the plate will not fall off if the screws are removed), on the plate to hold it in place, and then add wood screws in the frame to anchor the frame solidly, and reinstall the brick molding.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree - remove a section of the case molding on one side or another - sounds like the door was not shimmed at the hinges which is why you are hitting air with the longer screws. need to slip a wood block in the gap between the door frame and the stud and then hit it with some long screws. drill pilot holes so as to not split the block and then hit it with some 4 " screws, especially at the top.

Comment

If you have wood behind the casing.I like golf tees,score it with a knife,put glue on it,drive it in to the hole and cut it off. Then screw it...
          If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrandy View Post
            If you have wood behind the casing.I like golf tees,score it with a knife,put glue on it,drive it in to the hole and cut it off. Then screw it...
            Thats a great tip rockinrandy, I have always carved a splinter of wood until it could be driven into the hinge holes, after slathering it with glue of course. A golf tee should work really well

Is it wood construction? If it is then a much longer screw can be employed in behind the hinges. take off the hinge pre drill a hold thru the jamb and drive some screws into the stud behind to stabilize the hinge area. Using shims as suggested is the proper way to fix it. Once stabilized. The tee trick should work , just make sure you use lots of glue and give the glue the time it needs to set up before reinstalling the hinge. Good luck

Comment

Happy that one of my tricks could be of use.Golf tees are cheap too. good luck
              If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Working...
              X