X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drop ceiling question

does anyone know if it's possible to suspend a drop ceiling from "solid bridging" (2x6), between joist above if you need to run the main tees parallel to joist instead of perpendicular...also why can't you simply run the main tees parallel with the joist,right underneath each corresponding joist if they run on 16 anyway...thanks for any input

Re: drop ceiling question

It doesn't matter what they are hung on as long as it is solid.

-Tom

Comment

Tom is correct , and remember to stay square

Comment

Old dried lumber, I see no problem. New fast growing wet lumber, well it could come into play with your work. Put in some bracing just above your work and you should be just fine. Wood (new) loves to cup and twist and warp, right guys.....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Don't worry to much about lining it up with existing support. For a prof. looking job you want to make sure that your cuts on both sides are equal. I assume that you are putting in metal t-bar grid. measure your ceiling and divide by the tile size in that direction. For example 22' 3" / 4' would be 5 full tiles with 2' 3" left over you divide that by 2 and you end up with a 1' 1 1/2" cut at either end. Example 20' 8" / 2' would be 10 full tiles wide with a 4" cut on either side. As I do not like the narrow cuts I would use 9 full tiles wide=18' with 2' 8" left over which would be a 1' 4" cut on either side. If you are running your mains with the joists and they end up in between it is a simple matter of nailing in a block to hang it from. Good luck

Comment

I all ways run my grid in the direction of the longest run.Like a hallway or another room, to keep the flow going.No stopping and starting. Good luck
            If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Working...
            X