drywall finishing around acrylic tub/shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: drywall finishing around acrylic tub/shower

I have tiled above a few fiberglass surrounds for people because they got sick of the drywall always rotting out, amazingly it looked pretty good when finished.

As for waterproofing, I have gone to using TEC HydraFlex™ waterproofing coating. Roll it on with a 3/8 nap roller and after a few coats, its waterproof, and provides an anti-crack membrane as well. It's over kill as you could technically just use drywall behind it, but I use the Fiberock by USG. It's much more uniform than Hardie, a lot less wavy. I've had a full pallet of hardie look like a roller coaster, ends were all cupped, it was terrible. Oh and the 1/2 is never 1/2". Sorry for the rant off topic, I just don't like the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
      Tool that's the old way & it worked good. It's easier, faster & better to put kerdi over the cement board then tile away. If you want to spend a lot money you can even use kerdi board. I also use epoxy grout & 100% silcone caulk. If you can't find the silcone in the color you are trying to match just take clear silcone & the color part of the epoxy grout & mix them together.
      Thanks, I'm ready to switch! Will next Bath, I needed this conformation" Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        As for waterproofing, I have gone to using TEC HydraFlex™ waterproofing coating. Roll it on with a 3/8 nap roller and after a few coats, its waterproof, and provides an anti-crack membrane as well.
        Is this stuff easily available, or do you have to know where to find it? All we have that is easily available is that red stuff you find at Home Depot. I dislike living so far away from any kind of "real" supply house.
        Last edited by masterbeavis; 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Any distributor for TEC products should have it. here is their website http://www.tecspecialty.com/

Comment

Pre-fill with setting type compound. Mesh tape. First coat with setting compound, skim with regular ready-mix. Caulk and paint.

Comment

I'm facing the same dilemma with a shower I just installed. My idea is to trim down one side of some corner bead the thickness of the drywall and run it along the edge of the shower surround to give me a clean edge against the surround. Then caulk it after the finishing is done. Flat taping should accomplish the same thing though and would probably be a bit easier.

Comment

A drywall supply house will have the correct stuff that will be alot easier to use.

The first one listed on this page will be the one more than likely is in stock. It works great.
                http://trim-tex.com/product_catalog....egory&catid=28

Other alternatives
                http://trim-tex.com/product_catalog....egory&catid=26
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Why would you trim down corner bead when there are already j-trim and f-trim edges made for butting against things?

I wouldn't suggest using trim of any sort, nor would I suggest going over the nailing flange of the tub/shower w/ your board.

I would but up against the flange, and use synko concrete fill or a setting type compound and create a tile border around the tub/shower.

Comment

Our shower stall seems to have been put in-place using the method quoted below. This is only a 4 year old house that we've moved into and mold is all around the top of the shower stall and the flat tape is peeling off.

I'm not in the trade, just a homeowner wanting make this repair and would rather not use the same failed method. What would be an easy inexpensive fix? I thought about adding flat plastic trim as used in surround tub enclosures.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    ....pre fill the edge and joints, to fill any deep voids, I let that set up and then go back (a quck scrape and or sand if nessary) and refill and "FLAT tape" the edge up to the shower stall, I use paper tape IMO the net tape has a few places but not in normal use,

you do not fold the tape you just lay it on flat with the edge of the tape touching the encloser (the same is used for beams or any edge where the drywall butts up to some other product) and the tape puts a finshed edge on the drywall and makes it look like you have a perfect cut, (it is like taping a joint but insted your butting up to an edge),
                    [/url]

Comment

Working...
                    X