X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drywall finishing around acrylic tub/shower

I need some advice for installing and finishing drywall around a 4 pc tub/surround. The unit is a Sterling Accord, if that makes any difference. I am trying to do this if possible without disturbing the ceiling joint as the ceiling is textured. The walls are smooth, which I can do! Every one of these units I have ever seen locally, appears to be mudded over the flange right up to the finished surface of the tub, with no obvious caulk line. I have cut out the drywall to about 9" from the ceiling to leave me some room to feather my repair without getting into the corner. It is a 60" unit and the 40y/o framing was roughed varying from 60-1/4 and 60-1/2 so some shimming was necessary. I am concerned about 2 things - the obvious tilt in the walls over the ends of the tub when I taper it out 1/4" in about 15-18" and,and two, the suitable method for finishing to the tub surround. When I was at the plumbing supply, on the showroom side, I saw a similar unit where they had run baseboard up and around it instead of mudding it in, and it actually looked kind of nice. What are your opinions on that alternative? If I used wood, and not mdf, and sealed the back before installation, and caulked well, it should work if I just butted the drywall to the flange and let the trim do the overhanging. Opinions please, but go easy on me!
    Last edited by JTROANOKE; 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM.

Re: drywall finishing around acrylic tub/shower

not that I have done a lot of them, but many times the shower/tub unit is put in and the dry wall is then put on over the flange, a quick setting mud may be a better mud to use a little more durable, mix up only what you need as it will set up, as after a given time it will not be usable,

any way pre fill the edge and joints, to fill any deep voids, I let that set up and then go back (a quck scrape and or sand if nessary) and refill and "FLAT tape" the edge up to the shower stall, I use paper tape IMO the net tape has a few places but not in normal use,

you do not fold the tape you just lay it on flat with the edge of the tape touching the encloser (the same is used for beams or any edge where the drywall butts up to some other product) and the tape puts a finshed edge on the drywall and makes it look like you have a perfect cut, (it is like taping a joint but insted your butting up to an edge),

read reply #4 in the bleow url,
    http://forum.doityourself.com/walls-...t-ceiling.html
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Like BHD said. At the edge of the tub or if you had to go to the ceiling at the stipple you can get a product to tape to the edge that is called fast mask or clean edge in my neck of the woods. It is a piece of plastic that is at 90 degees to the tape that is removable when you are done taping. It keeps the surface that you are taping to nice and clean and it also gives your taping knife or trowel something to follow.

If your tub surround has a lot of curves and such just flat tape it.

Comment

Trim looks awful in my opinion. Just butt your drywall up against the nailing flange and fill the void with 20 minute EZ sand. Tape your edge and resmooth. Many times it can be done without having to do any sanding at all.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Fill an 1-1/2" void at the edge of the drywall with mud??? Wouldnt that just crack? I know setting compound is tougher than standard, but I would like to see that in action.

Comment

There us a U-shaped plastic trim that goes on the edge of the drywall, and then it just goes over the edge of the tub. Also I suggest to use concrete board and not gypsum.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
              Fill an 1-1/2" void at the edge of the drywall with mud??? Wouldnt that just crack? I know setting compound is tougher than standard, but I would like to see that in action.
              I have done probably 50 or more tubs this way. Mine has been done for 4 years this way without any cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                I have done probably 50 or more tubs this way. Mine has been done for 4 years this way without any cracks.
                This works, I've done it too. Never been a problem!

Comment

Well, thanks to all that replied, the boss has decided to go with trim. Between the wonky framing in the house, the fact that the surround is 3/4 narrower in the back, I assume for remodeling ease? and everything else, we are going to miter the baseboard where it hits the tub (5' tub in 5' bathroom), go straight up the wall and miter and around the top of the surround and back down. Will use solid wood trim so no glue failures, seal the backside, and caulk the hell out of it. Should be interesting. Saw one at the plumbing showroom done this way and it actually looked very nice. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Comment

Remind me to never hire your boss. Twice the work for half the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Remind me to never hire your boss. Twice the work for half the finished product.
                      Well, since this bosses name is on the deed to the house, it is her choice

Comment

hahaha, good point

Comment

We are upgrading our bathroom. We are having our surr. tub glossed. The opening of the unit has 3 Sheetrock edges, previously covered by wooden trim. Would someone please write and tell me, in simpler way, how I can finish the 3 5/8" edges of Sheetrock without using trim? I don't know some of the words in the earlier respond. I am a handy housewife. Thank you!

Comment

I hate rock in that place! Use hardy board and fiber glass tape with Mud. Don't forget 30 lb. tarpaper over studs behind this ! Pick up
                            " SETTING TILE BY MICHAEL BYRNE." He's My menter. I take pride, and have 48 years experience. TO many punky rot rock jobs being done each day! Do it once for a LONG lasting trouble free job. Good luck Tool
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              I hate rock in that place! Use hardy board and fiber glass tape with Mud. Don't forget 30 lb. tarpaper over studs behind this ! Pick up
                              " SETTING TILE BY MICHAEL BYRNE." He's My menter. I take pride, and have 48 years experience. TO many punky rot rock jobs being done each day! Do it once for a LONG lasting trouble free job. Good luck Tool
                              Tool that's the old way & it worked good. It's easier, faster & better to put kerdi over the cement board then tile away. If you want to spend a lot money you can even use kerdi board. I also use epoxy grout & 100% silcone caulk. If you can't find the silcone in the color you are trying to match just take clear silcone & the color part of the epoxy grout & mix them together.

Comment

Working...
                              X