Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabinets or tile first?

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    I will protest till I'm blue in the face to any friend of mine who wants to tile before cabinets.

You are going to replace flooring WAY before tile.People get tired of flooring and use the inexpensive remodeling project long before the cabinets are ready to be replaced.

Flooring gets damaged.Tiles crack and one may not be able to get replacements.

In My Honest Opinion.
    Sorry
    Adam
    Exactly why I say put an extra layer of plywood under the cabinets. You get all the advantages of putting in the tile first, such as the appliances sitting at the same level as the finished floor, plus you can redo the tile, and you can also put the tile in before or after the cabinets, just work up to the edge of your plywood if you do it before. The smooth plywood under the appliances/cabinets is better for shimming, and you can brad/staple your shims down so they don't move. You also save on your tile budget!

Comment

Tile first. It puts everything on the same elevation and is easier for everything downstream. Dishwasher particularly.

Comment

I always install the tile first. Unless the tile cost is high.Then i put plywood down to keep it all the same level.
        If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

I find it rather interesting that the DIYers all say cabinets first, but the pros (who do this for a living) say tile first.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            I find it rather interesting that the DIYers all say cabinets first, but the pros (who do this for a living) say tile first.
            I've been in thousands of homes under construction.Yes,a lot of tract work.Still,hundreds of remodels...Hundreds of the most elaborite mansons costing in the millions.
            In Southern California there are none that I have seen tile first.It very well could be possible they do things differently in other regions.

Comment

Like has been said before, the tile is more likely to be changed first than the cabinets, if decent cabinets were selected. You can trim off hardwood with a toekick saw for a remodel, but that would be tough with tile. As a DiYer and homeowner with shallow pockets, I would rather cut the square footage on the tile by 20% and put the money towards a better grade of tile. Tiling under cabinets is like tiling and carpeting over it. The reason the pros want to tile first is because it makes their job easier and more profitable (more square footage, less cuts and corners). Not bashing them for this, just stating the truth. Time is money and you can go a lot faster when you aren't worried about getting a spot of grout on the custom cherry cabinets! But as a homeowner, I would rather have it done up to the cabinets, and not under them. Plywood is cheap(er) and gives you all the advantages of tiling first plus some bonuses as far as cabinet installation ease.

Comment

As a Cabinet Maker I build and install cabinets for a living. You are right in your assessment that the cabinets should go in first in my own opinion. However it is also important to remember that you need a very good tile person to do the tile work afterward in order for the tile to look good and straight when it is laid. The DIYer and some so called tilers don't realize that the cabinetry and the flooring should look compatible and complimentary to each other. It is also nice to have the tile run up the toe kick which can prevent water damage to the toekick. They lay it and sometimes it looks like an after-thought, the tiles don't run parallel to the cabinetry which in turn makes the whole thing look terrible. On the other side of the argument if the flooring is wood or pergo or some other solid material other than tile and is done first it most often looks more finished and far better where the toe kick and the flooring meet.

Comment

As I mentioned before, there really isn't a right or wrong way here, its just about, how you do it personally.

I have done it both ways, but I do prefer it to be tile down first, but not always....

"Adam", Calf. is it's own country down over there . I have seen it go both ways from Texas to Alaska, it really doesn't matter, unless those tiles are $40.00 a sq ft, then I would just build up with cement board or plywood....

But I must admit, majority of my jobs, has the tile all the way under.... Well not just tiles but all finished flooring's.....
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Glad to see someone finally asked that question.I hope this answers your question.I do Tile for a living and cabinets are built from finished floor height,meaning that if your cabinets are installed first you will be lowering the height by the amount of the thickness of the tile,thinset,subfloor,etc. So if the height is 32"before tile you could be losing an inch or more in height.Where if you install the tile first the finished height of the countertop will be 32"or whatever your cabinet+countertop height will be.

HAPPY MUDDING

Comment

Installing cabinets first is pretty much standard procedure. Its more of a timing issue. Once the cabinets are in the top can be measured and put into production while the tile is going in.
                      Build the bottom of the cabinets up on the corners the thickness of the tile & mud. Depending on the thickness of the tile it is always wise to build them up for dishwasher clearance. I new someone that installed he cabinets first never building the cabs up, installed thick mexican tile afterwards and the DW woldn't go in. It will happen with 3/4'' wood flooring also.
                      I protect the cabs with cardboard or thermoply after installation most of the time

Comment

My FIL is a flooring guy, and his words to me were "if you buy good porcelain tile, it will last 30 years, longer than what's on top of it, so don't skimp on the tile and put it in first".

This seems at odds with some of the comments, so I guess it comes down to what you do for a living. If you're a cabinet maker, I'd think you would favor the cabinets, and tilers will favor the tile.

Another consideration might be cost. If you completely tile under the cabinets, (thus allowing complete change of the cabinets at any time), you will use a LOT more tile. To make this worth while, you'd have to be using very good quality tile, which is very costly, especially if you need more of it.

Of course crap cabinets on thin ceramic tile will become a disaster in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                          My FIL is a flooring guy, and his words to me were "if you buy good porcelain tile, it will last 30 years, longer than what's on top of it, so don't skimp on the tile and put it in first".
                          These days it isn't a matter of how long the tile will last. With people changing houses every 5 years or so to chase their career path, there is no such thing as a family homestead anymore. That means in 30 years, on average there will be 6 families in a given house. What are the chances of finding 6 women with the same taste in tile? That is what causes tile to be replaced, not wearing out. Tastes change, in general. How many 1979 tile styles would you want in your home today? Chances are, not many.

Comment

Slaves to fashion have only themselves to blame then!

Something neutral and good quality wins every time for me. Orange and Lime Green doesn't!

I'm reminded of taking a train through Switzerland. I was waiting for the train, and looking at the timetable, I realized I could take an earlier Italian train that was passing through. The appointed hour comes, and into the station pulls a shiny bullet shaped thing. Looked like a million dollars. I get on. And find that the interior door is coming off its hinges. The seats are worn through. The table doesn't fit properly. The windows are scratched. Looks good, but is in fact, crap.

On the way back, I get a SBB (ie Swiss) train. It's 30 years old. Solid leather chairs, high quality everything. It didn't look new, it just looked solid and competent. A world away from the Italian train.

Comment

Cabinets first!!! Shimming & install is easier. But the real reason is that chipping out the tile is pure misery, and I totally agree that the flooring will change more often as styles change. Lots of ways to skin a cat, but I've never considered doing tile first.

Besides, a good classic face frame cabinet with mortise & tenon face frames, good material and conversion varnish finish should last at least 30 years!!

I build my cabinets taller than factory made boxes to accommodate the mud bed and thickness of the porcelain. Then, tile into the areas for the dishwasher, range and fridge to keep things level. Looks finished. I tried the plywood thing once but it looks ugly after a few years... granted no one sees much under the dishwasher and range, but the fridge rolls out for cleaning once in a while. Besides, you'll know it's under there.

I always pick a grout that has matching silicone. I use the silicone along the grout lines abutting the toekicks and in the appliance nooks. That does a pretty good job of keeping the water out - I've never seen any staining or finish issues down there.

-Andy

Comment

I guess either way works.
                                I am getting ready to put down a wood floor in my loft with some built in’s too. The bookcases will go in first, and the floor will follow.
                                Eight years ago I put down a tile floor in my kitchen and then installed cabinets with a peninsula. A couple of years ago I decided to get rid of the peninsula, and there was my new floor underneath, ready to go. Good thing too because the tile I used is now unavailable.
                                Steve.

Comment

Working...
                                X