Cabinets or tile first?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabinets or tile first?

Cabinets first, if for any reason u need to change floor u don't have to touch cabinets, also easier to shim and level cabs.

Comment

the tiles should be installed first. This is done so a level floor can be established for the cabinets, they also end up at the proper height. If some time down the road you wish to change you cabinets around you could still do so as there is tile under the cabinet and you would not have to find some years later. Good luck. Custom Floor Plans

Comment

The only reason I can see cabinets first is because of timing with the way builders build these days. The argument about the flooring possibly being changed before the cabinets is a crappy excuse. Why? Well, I am a cabinet builders son, and I happen to lay tile as well. My dads cabinets are not cheap, and I can almost put my money on them lasting for as long as the house stands, but I still wouldnt put them in before tile. Here is why, as mentioned the height issue, which some address with the plywood and shimming. Another, spills, I have seen so many really nasty sub floors under cabinets because of spills that soaked into the sub floor because the flooring stopped at the cabinet. Wasted tile... what ever, there is usually only 2 extra tile (if they are 12") to the wall, no big deal. Lastly, if the construction was preformed correctly, the floor should be level, there is NO excuse for unlevel construction. If its an older home or one of these shotty built wham bam houses then the tile setter should level the floor with leveling material. I personally hate base shoe as does my dad and brother, so we leave the toe kick panel loose to get it tight to the floor if need be, and the panels and cabinet "legs" are wrapped with a 1-1/2" decoritve trim that can be adjusted to the floor, decortive base shoe in a sense. Lastly, if the tile was installed correctly, you in a sense have only more flooring covering option, as if the tile is in good condition without cracks or loose tile, you could tile over it one time. You would only lose the height of the tile and dishwashers and other appliances shouldnt be a problem. Lastly, why should future remodels be a concern? If the cabinets have to come out to replace the flooring, you do realize that is more work, meaning more money for you and I down the road! Dont skimp on a job because you want to do something the "fast" way. yeah, tile first can make the job longer, but in the end, you will have a better final product. Plus, the Cabinets will be sitting on a solid surface. Of course these are my opinions, but I think many will agree with me.

Comment

I still stand by, it doesn't matter which gets installed first. In new construction, whoever can get in there and get it done and get out. Of course everything should be well covered up for protection...

Custom cabinets, ya they'll last a very long time, but big box store cabinets, they don't hold up for too long.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by DR. tech View Post
            Cabinets first, if for any reason u need to change floor u don't have to touch cabinets, also easier to shim and level cabs.
            Cabinets first. Most new construction allows for a specific cabinet height with the idea that flooring will be installed later. A builder doesn't put in a "prospective" buyers' choice of flooring until just before close of escrow for all the obvious reasons - he doesn't want to eat that choice or tear it out if it doesn't close in order to sell the house. Same on a remodel, the new buyer might not like what exists and will want to make changes to personalize his purchase. It's a lot easier to remove the old if it extends to the cabinets and not underneath the cabinets. Just my thoughts.

Comment

As long as there is no right answer and we're all just giving opinions anyway ;-)

I agree that some considerations are made depending on whether you are doing the job yourself, or if it's a builder subcontracting. Coordinating timing between subs is tough and is likely to take some precedence; but if you are doing all the work yourself, you only need to work around your significant other's schedule.

Although I agree that a future remodel that replaces only the floor is somewhat more likely than one that would replace only the cabinets, attempting to consider future remodels is a pretty weak argument.

When we did our complete kitchen remodel, which included about 300 sq. ft of heated ceramic tile floor, I chose to lay the tile first. After already replacing vinyl floor with heated ceramic in 4 bathrooms, I vowed to save myself the pain of tiling and grouting under that toe kick since I had the choice. I actually set the tiles so that the cabinets would overhang by about 1/2" and then built-up the subfloor under the cabinets so that they didn't actually set any weight on the tile. This allowed me to just use the simple 1/8" ply toe kick to cover the cabinet base.

Installed this way, i guess you could say that the tile could actually be replaced without the cabinets. But with the heated wire embedded in the mortar under that tile, you have to be in for another major remodel before ripping all that up.

Jim

Comment

I was only adding a few cabinets to the existing ones to make my kitchen larger. my cabinets had no flooring beneath them. I shimed the cabinets up on plywood and tiled up to the kick. When tiling floors, I always use tile for baseboard (4" ) and the kick. Match the grout lines to the ones on the floor and voila, a very classy look. Leave a gap for grout on the bottom so you can caulk the floor to the kick. This will keep out the "mop" water. P.S. You never need that much water on your mop. Make sure you seal the grout really well in a kitchen. I always tile under my appliances. Ordinarily, you would be changing the floor if you are going to change the cabinets in the future because you are sick of the floor too LOL. Keeping a few tiles around is always a good plan.

Candy

Comment

cabinets first then tiles

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                    Just a DIYer, not a pro, but I like to put down 3/8 or 1/2 plywood under the cabinets to raise them, and caulk the edges so that there isn't a void to fill up with water in the event of a leak. Especially if you are putting cement board under the tile. Caulk it to the tile after installation. This puts the cabinets at roughly the same level as the finished tile, still leaves room for shims, and makes it a hell of a lot easier to get the dishwasher in and out. My current house had tile and cement board installed long after the house was built, and I had to raise the counters to get the dishwasher in. It was a real pain and changed a half hour job into a 3 hour job. If I had granite, I probably would have broken it or had to get the granite guys in to remove and reinstall.
                    this makes no sence to me if your going to install tile run your backerboard/permabase/durock.....etc in the entire room even under the cabinets this way your only dealing with one material plus when you thinset it down it helps seal under the underlayment. then just set your cabinets on top of that and youll stay at the same level all around the room.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                      Theres really no right or wrong way about this, but it did get my curiosity going, so I asked the builders/remodelers in another forum this question. So far, putting the flooring down first is winning and its probably ahead by 3/4 of the votes.

The thought of other tradesmen coming in after the finish flooring is installed, is the turn off for a few guys. But my guess is they are to lazy to wanna protect that flooring. But both ways have their pro's and con's. I'll go thru those extra tiles for the purpose of speed/future remodels/future dishwashers/mop water getting under the cabinets.
                      its not for speed nor saving a few buck on tiles that i put the cabinets in first.

the tiles and or hardwood floor put in after the cabinets Locks the bases into place and, since with tile anyway, i run the durock under the cabines as well water is not so much a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MBB View Post
                        Tile first. It puts everything on the same elevation and is easier for everything downstream. Dishwasher particularly.
                        i duno why everyone is stressing the dishwasher iv never had a problem installing or removing them with the cabinets being set first.

Comment

Interesting thread
                          I install kitchens...for me I prefer the tile to be done.But I'm not going to wait on it.Either way works.
                          This Kitchen was tiled

Comment

Hi,
                            I think you install cabinet first !
                            Ok !

Comment

I am a carpenter and from my knowledge i know that it is easier to pull the cabinets out and replace if the floor is fine , or even if the homeowner decides later on down the road they want to rearange the kitchen or wants a pedistle sink they have the option. if you decide to put your tile down after and the customer will not be able to salvige to floor on a simple task of changing cabinets. i personaly think its well worth extra time and looks more professional to have all cabinets installed after tile. Do you install your trim before tile or hardwood, why make it harder on your self

Comment

Cabinets first. Down the road someone will want to re-do the flooring. . .in the future.

Although, you will have to build-up the sub-floor under the cabinets to the finished level of the tile. Otherwise the cabinet toe kick will be shortened.

Make sure that you seal the seam where the toe kick and tile meet with a generous bead of clear silicone caulk. GE Silicone II "Kitchen & Bath" caulk is the best for the job.
                                Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                                Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

Working...
                                X