Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinets or tile first?

Hi guys, I'm about half done building a new set of cabinets
    for my kitchen. When I get them all done, I am going to remodel the whole kitchen. I already have the tile for the floor setting in the garage just waiting.
    My question is, should I install the cabinets first, or put the new tile down and then install the cabinets?
    The guys I have talked to are about split even as to what they would
    do first. I thought I would ask the experts here and see what you all have to say!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cabinets or tile first?

I'd like to know too as I'm slowly working my way up to a similar project. On the one hand, I could put in the cabinets first and use a little bit less flooring material since it would only have to go as far as the kick space and then be covered with a bit of quarter round to even things up. Or I could do the floor (I'm thinking wood, not tile in this case) and other than a potential re-finishing issue, if the base cabinets change again there is full flooring under them...

Right now I'm leaning to the cabinets first (on the subfloor) and then install the flooring to save a little money on materials.

Comment

cabinets

Comment

cabinets first, then tile.

sure not having to cut tile around the base of the toe kick is nice, but how do you shim the cabinet bases and hide the shims? not sure if 1/4 round or shoe base will cover it?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Most likey the cabinets will be ther longer than the tile. Imagine trying to remove the tile tucked under the cabinet 15 years from now.

Comment

Just a DIYer, not a pro, but I like to put down 3/8 or 1/2 plywood under the cabinets to raise them, and caulk the edges so that there isn't a void to fill up with water in the event of a leak. Especially if you are putting cement board under the tile. Caulk it to the tile after installation. This puts the cabinets at roughly the same level as the finished tile, still leaves room for shims, and makes it a hell of a lot easier to get the dishwasher in and out. My current house had tile and cement board installed long after the house was built, and I had to raise the counters to get the dishwasher in. It was a real pain and changed a half hour job into a 3 hour job. If I had granite, I probably would have broken it or had to get the granite guys in to remove and reinstall.
            Last edited by JTROANOKE; 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I do tile first.
              It keeps everything on the correct, uniform level.
              You'll have to scribe your toekick either way, since it's the last thing to go down.
              But if you do cabinets first, be sure to save extra tile in storage for anyone down the line wanting to make any changes to the layout or appliance widths.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
                I do tile first.
                It keeps everything on the correct, uniform level.
                You'll have to scribe your toekick either way, since it's the last thing to go down.
                But if you do cabinets first, be sure to save extra tile in storage for anyone down the line wanting to make any changes to the layout or appliance widths.
                I also do tile first and agree with Dairylander on everything....
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                  I also do tile first and agree with Dairylander on everything....
                  Count me in!

Comment

Theres really no right or wrong way about this, but it did get my curiosity going, so I asked the builders/remodelers in another forum this question. So far, putting the flooring down first is winning and its probably ahead by 3/4 of the votes.

The thought of other tradesmen coming in after the finish flooring is installed, is the turn off for a few guys. But my guess is they are to lazy to wanna protect that flooring. But both ways have their pro's and con's. I'll go thru those extra tiles for the purpose of speed/future remodels/future dishwashers/mop water getting under the cabinets.
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      cabinets first, then tile.

sure not having to cut tile around the base of the toe kick is nice, but how do you shim the cabinet bases and hide the shims? not sure if 1/4 round or shoe base will cover it?

rick.
                      It would depend on how you are shimming. I plan to use the fat, black plastic leveler feet you find on Euro style cabinets. But use them on face-frame style cabinets instead.

Another option I though of, and I think somebody mentioned something very similar already, is to use some plywood as a subfloor below the cabinets to get them closer to the finish height of the floor. Still need shimming but would need less.

And yet another option I though about was building a frame below the cabinets and getting that level and situated to account for the height difference. But by the time you get that done, you may as well just run the flooring all the way under the cabinets anyway.

But it does sound like for reasons of preservation of sanity and appliance installs later, doing the floor first is better...

Comment

floor first
                        cover your tile with cardboard, try and put in a dishwasher under a counter when the floor is higher then the spot where the dishweasher is going to be put in. same height in floors keeps everything level.
                        i use to work for a custom kitchen factory. floors then cupboards. i delivered the product and by accident walked ona wet fresh tiled floor...ooooooooooooooops.
                        floor first then the stuff that goes on top of floor

Comment

I'd opt for installing the tile first, especially if you are installing a dishwasher. I had to replace one where the tile was installed after the cabinets were done and had to remove the countertop to get the dishwasher out from behind were the tile stopped. A half inch tile thickness plus the thickness of the thinset turned a relatively routine job into a major fiasco. While you are installing the floor you can adjust for level with some thinset and minimize any shimming.

Comment

hello all,
                            My vote is for the cabinets first, as they say----they may last longer anyhow.

Do you have any photos of your work, sounds like a fun project to do on your own. Do you need a lot of training to take this on?

Or you could always get a contractor's opinion too----
                            need any home renovation tips....flooring and carpet

Comment

I will protest till I'm blue in the face to any friend of mine who wants to tile before cabinets.

You are going to replace flooring WAY before tile.People get tired of flooring and use the inexpensive remodeling project long before the cabinets are ready to be replaced.

Flooring gets damaged.Tiles crack and one may not be able to get replacements.

In My Honest Opinion.
                              Sorry
                              Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X