Fixing/replacing garage doors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing/replacing garage doors

Any of you guys here have experience with garage doors.

This happened to me just before Christmas – in fact about an hour before I was due to leave to go to the airport to fly off for the holidays. I was about to park my car inside the garage. When I triggered the remote the door opened halfway and stayed there. When I went to investigate I found that the bolt holding the door hinge had given way and the hinge had moved up and embedded itself into he wood at an angle. There was no way to move the door. Luckily my neighbor was home and with his help I was able to perform some emergency work on the thing. I had to release the hinge and the springs (which were under tension) and then push the door back into place. I then used some plywood to nail the door shut from inside. In spite of all this I was able to make my flight.

So now I’m faced with having to fix this. Since I have a solid door I was thinking of getting a sectional. However, I’m not sure I have enough headroom due to the overhead shelves in the garage. I have about 5.5” clearance in most places and about 3.5” in some places (where wood has been used to brace from below). Any ideas if a sectional is realistic in this scenario.

Another thing is that I will probably have someone do this rather than DIY. Any tips on finding a suitable contractor. What should I look for? There seem to be so many when I look online – no idea how to know if they are good or not.

Re: Fixing/replacing garage doors

The bracket needs to be secure, obviously. So how long was the lag screw? If it was a little stubby, then drill deeper and run a longer lag screw. I would also start replacing all the other ones, one at a time. Do not just try to run a screw thru without drilling first, this can cause the wood to split. It also appears to be under secured, not enough lag screws, was the bracket hung with 2 lags? It doesn't look to be a big deal, just make sure your into solid wood and not split wood, they may have split the wood when it was hung, though it doesn't appear to be from the pictures. If you have to retighten the spring/s, hire a pro to do the job then...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If you decide to replace with a sectional door you will need more overhead room for this type door.

Comment

Check your local yellow pages. They have a listing for
        "garage door repair"

I had a sectional fall off the tracks and it was about $100.00 for
        about 1 hour to have the "experienced" fellow fix the problem.

The garage door system is a simple concept, but you need to understand the
        proper sequence when working on them..Thus the need for a trained
        experienced person!

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It does seem that whoever installed the door did a substandard job in terms of securing things. There is only one bolt holding that bracket. A few years ago the bracket holding the opener came off the door due to a short bolt. I used a longer bolt and also braced the bracket on both sides with some steel angle bolted to the door. That won't be coming off for a long time.

For now I may just repair this to get it operational and then look at the sectional door option. Properly secure a new bracket, attach the door open it and brace it open and attach the springs I think is the correct sequence. And then reattach the opener which I also removed.

I have been down with a cold and felt barely able to lift a screwdriver but I think I can deal with this maybe in the next day or so.

Comment

another thing is maintenance,
            lubricate the pins and such that move, if they get stiff they add stress to other parts, check from time to time things are tight, that are supposed to be tight like bolts and nuts and screw, when some thing works it way loose it creates a lot of extra stress that than cause other things to work loose and can break or fail, and then failure as your pictures show.
            If wear points are wearing replacement of bushings or pins or rollers may need to looked into.

If the bracket area is worn such that new lags will not hold and longer are not usable do to going through the wall, using a headed bolt or carriage bolt, and nut may be an option going clear through the wall,
            Last edited by BHD; 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I guess I was mistaken - there were 2 bolts - one must have fallen out somewhere but there is a hole. There is some damage to the wood at the lower part of the bracket where it has gone into the wood but hopefully it is not too bad. Since there are holes already in the wood where the bolts were what would be the best way to resecure the bracket. I wondered if larger diameter bolts would work. Also maybe using some steel angle going over the bracket and being secured in the wood further up and down for additional support.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                I guess I was mistaken - there were 2 bolts - one must have fallen out somewhere but there is a hole. There is some damage to the wood at the lower part of the bracket where it has gone into the wood but hopefully it is not too bad. Since there are holes already in the wood where the bolts were what would be the best way to resecure the bracket. I wondered if larger diameter bolts would work. Also maybe using some steel angle going over the bracket and being secured in the wood further up and down for additional support.
                Unless the holes on the old bracket are bigger then the screw heads because of damage (I doubt that) then add a washer. Now, go with a slightly thicker and longer lagscrew, you might have to go with a 3" - 3 1/2" lagscrew. If you need to add a washer, do so. Also add a 3 lagscrew (on all brackets) so this wont happen again. Remember to predrill your holes, slightly smaller than the diameter of your lagscrew, this will stop splitting from happening.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Okay thought I would post on how the repair went. The lagscrews already used were 4". The bottom hole appeared to hold with another 4" screw but the top hole was not in good shape so I upgraded that to a 6" long lagscrew. I used a third in the middle hole and then also cut 2 pieces of steel angle which I connected to the bracket at one end and then attached the other end to the doorframe also with 4" screws. Seems fairly stable after that. I reattached the springs and the door is back in operation.

Good point about preventive maintanance - I used fresh grease on the bushings on the main arm and also oiled the other joint - the door is now much quieter while closing and opening on the repaired side. The other side is rather noisy still. Maybe I should repeat the procedure for the other side and also maybe install new springs.

Now on to a related queestion - if I choose to keep this door - the outside is not in the best of conditions - some small cracks in the wood. Would it be possible to repair these with some wood filler or something to improve the appearance?

Comment

Once wood start to crack, is always hard to fix. You'd have to gouge out the cracks and make them bigger, then apply whatever you plan on using. You could try wood filler (but not my choice), you could try exterior spackle (yes they make it and it's alright and you'll get a smooth finish), you could try an epoxy (much better). What I like to use is called stretch and its a caulking, just smash it in and get rid of high bumps from to much caulk (you'll know what I mean almost right away). Stretch likes to hold on pretty good and from a distance, no one will tell there's been a patch job. But if you want a smooth, up close look, epoxy will be your answer. Though you better put it on real thin, or you'll be spending a lot of time sanding. Usually if there's a crack in the panel of a door, there's many more. Prime, then paint. If the cracks are really almost hairline small, just pack the cracks with extra primer and paint, that should stop water from penetrating....

Comment

Congrats on a successful repair.
                      FYI:
                      If you ever decide to replace the door, they DO make sectional doors for low overhead clearance situations like yours.

Comment

Working...
                      X