Wants to recover carpeted stairs with veneer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wants to recover carpeted stairs with veneer

I have worn out carpet on my stairs that I want to rip out anf maybe replace with laminate planking to match the landings. 1/4 inch type. the stairs are in good shape (10yrs old) but not suitable for finshing.
    What is the best way to deal with the bull nose, heck I`m not even sure if using laminate is doable or not? any suggestions would be great.

Re: Wants to recover carpeted stairs with veneer

You know, stair building is one of the hardest job to do in building a home. Some are a simple design, while others can be quite complicated, I wish I could tell you that adding a 1/4" of new wood, would be simple, but in reality it's not. Maybe you could glue down some wood veneer, but I don't think that this would last very long.

My suggestion is, either sand down the existing risers and treads and landing (if there is one), or replace the risers and treads. Are there railings involved, do you want those replaced to match the stairs? This will complicate anything you do by 10X, and you better know what your doing. For a beautiful job and well done, which will last a long time, higher a professional stair builder/refinisher...

Wood on top of wood, makes for some loud sounds after a period of time. Get it done right, the first time....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager is correct. Adding laminate to the top of the treads is not a good idea. For one thing your total rise from step to step will be altered at the top and bottom. If you think it won't make a difference you are wrong, even a slight difference will cause a trip step. The other thing is that most laminate flooring is designed to float. I do not know how you would install that on a step and make it work.
      The easiest thing here would be to remove the carpet and install new carpet. Or do as garager suggested and get a pro in to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboo View Post
        Garager is correct. Adding laminate to the top of the treads is not a good idea. For one thing your total rise from step to step will be altered at the top and bottom. If you think it won't make a difference you are wrong, even a slight difference will cause a trip step. The other thing is that most laminate flooring is designed to float. I do not know how you would install that on a step and make it work.
        The easiest thing here would be to remove the carpet and install new carpet. Or do as garager suggested and get a pro in to do the job.
        Most good carpet is about the same thickness as laminate, so that argument is out the window. However, attaching laminate flooring to the steps wouldnt be easy, and nailing it isnt the proper way.

Comment

this same question was being discussed on a flooring board I read from time to time.
          http://www.floormasters.com/communit...er=asc&start=0

and they suggested this product,
          http://www.eztread.com/

I personally do not have any experience or know any thing of the product,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I did that to my sister's stairs and it worked out well because I did the landing below and the floor above. All the measurements stayed the same. I made a custom nosing, starting with a 1 1/2 x 2 inch piece of oak. I rabbited it so that it was the height of the laminate and hung down over the existing tread. I kept the part hanging down a little under 1/2" thick so that left me with 1 1/2" bearing on old tread. My laminate was tong and groove so I cut a groove in the nosing to make the connection. Then I glued it all down with construction adhesive and a few pin nails to hold in place. That was last year and there are no problems. I treated the upper floor just like the treads, it got nosing also. Hope this helps.

PS. I didn't have balastrades to deal with.

Comment

Working...
            X