X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Doors with Low Ceiling

I'm in the process of remodeling my basement, and I need to install two doors, one that leads to the newly remodeled laundry room, and one that leads to a storage room.

The problem arises from the ceiling height. In the main den of the basement the ceiling height form the bare concrete to the joists it about 80". Subtract a few inches from that for ceiling and flooring and that leaves me with about 76" - 77" for a door.

What are my options for installing a door when standard doors measure 80"? Can I remove enough material from a prehung door to make this work?

Thanks.

Re: Install Doors with Low Ceiling

If you use a solid wood door, no problem. Take it off the bottom. A hollow can be used also but you will have to glue a piece of wood back up inside the door, lots more work.

Comment

ON a hollow core door cut it off and then glue in a new piece, If you want you can salvage the old piece by running it through a table saw and trimming off the out side veneer paper or whatever junk there using now days,

to get a good clean cut use a utility knife and pre score jsut to the side of the cut to be made that way splinters will not get tore off and make it ugly, ( most of the time you can cut clear through the door, and then jsut saw the side blocks, (push the paper spacers in so it does not interfere with new block)

If you do the bottom you then can jsut cut off the jams and trim to the same and shorten it up,

it is easy to make a dutch door using the same process,

the amount of block is so little any more that many times one will need to fill jsut trimming off a little,

I usually just cut a new filler piece out of a 2x4, and glue it in with wood glue,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodbee View Post
        If you use a solid wood door, no problem. Take it off the bottom. A hollow can be used also but you will have to glue a piece of wood back up inside the door, lots more work.
        It is more work yes but really not too difficult. The trickiest part is making a nice cut with no splintering. And you need a straight piece of lumber to fit between the face panels and close the bottom back up. This needs to be machined to close tolerance or it will distort the face panels when glued up.

I just did two sliding doors today for a closet that I cut down from 36" to 26". I wanted to reuse these doors as they are already finished to match the rest of the interior in the home. I ripped them down on my TS, machined new stiles (1.125" x 1.50 x 74"), and glued them up. Took about 2 hours not counting waiting for the glue to set on the first door so I could use the 14 clamps on the second one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f5bc69a3caa19aabf0160252afd12262.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	5351 Click image for larger version

Name:	b1a9407966cdc7ff9b0dcfff504a1184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	5352

First photo shows the finished door after being ripped to the desired width and the new stile glued in place.
        Second one is the second door in the clamps with a couple cauls to ensure pressure is applied along the entire length.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 01-16-2009, 08:15 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If it is a hollow core door I would be careful about cutting everything off one end. There is a piece of particle board in the middle, inside the door, which you will have to drill through for the latchset. I think that piece is only about 5 1/2 - 6 " wide. If you cut 4" off the bottom of the door that will only leave a couple inches to drill for the lockset - not enough. Also even if the door is predrilled it might not look good with the handle down 4" below standard height.

I would cut an equal amount off the top and bottom and reuse the plugs like BHD suggested. Then remortise for the hinges. Try to make sure the door swings into the main room and no one will ever see the old mortises.

Tom

Comment

Good point about the locksets and hinges Tom, I didn't have to worry about that with my sliders.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Dont know if there would be anywhere, but we have a store here (similar to lowes and HD but alot smaller) that is a small chain. I think they have 3 or 4 stores in MS AL, and FL. Anyway, they cut hollow core doors to what ever size you want. I think if you buy the slab from them they will cut it to size, drill the door knob hole, and mortise for the hinges and includeing the slab its about 30 bucks.

Comment

Re: 妻子是一种约束

Originally posted by nopq840
                红颜知己的差别 什么是妻子?就是你愿意把积蓄交给她保管的女人。什么是情人?就是你偷偷摸摸地去和她约会又怕妻子撞见的女 人。什么是红颜知己?就是你能把有些秘密说给她听却不能说给妻子听的女人。 妻子是一种约束,约束你不能随便和别的女人交往;情人是一种补偿,补偿你想从妻子那得到却又无法得到的激情 ;红颜知己就是一种点拨,点拨你心中的迷津。 妻子陪你过日子,情人陪你花钞票,红颜知己陪你聊聊天。妻子不能替代情人,因为她没有情人有情调;情人不能 代替妻子,因为她没有妻子的亲情;妻子和情人都代替不了红颜知己,那是心灵的需要。 妻子是一个和你没有一点血缘关系的女人,却为你深夜不回家而牵肠挂肚;情人是一个和你没有一点家庭关系的女 人,却让你尝尽做男人滋味尽情消魂;红颜知己是一个还没和你扯上关系的女人,却能分担你的快乐 和忧愁。 妻子是一个家,是一个能给你浮躁的心带来安抚的港湾;情人是家的累赘,只是不到万不得已你不想甩掉;红颜知 己是家的点缀,没有她你不会觉得寂寞,但你会觉得生活没意思。 妻子的关心像一杯白开水,有时会成为一种唠叨,只是在生病时才成为一种温馨;情人的关心就像在白开水里加了 一勺糖,慢慢地品上一个晚上还不满足;红颜知己的关心就像工作到午夜喝一杯咖啡,越喝越提神。 妻子怀上你的孩子会深情地问你想要个男孩还是要个女孩,情人怀上你的孩子会哭着来问你该怎么办怎么办啊?对 于红颜知己,你会把你的情人怀孕的消息告诉她,并问她你该怎么办。至于妻子,你会在她发现你的情人肚子大了 的秘密后才告诉她:“其实,我早就想告诉你了。”然后拼命地向她解释,并作可怜状。ビジネスローンの湊屋商事では、?o担保ビジネスローン、そして診療報酬担保ローンといった、多彩なサービスをご用意して います。ありそうでなかったシンクレジットカード ?F金化プルなサービスのご?B介。ShareTabs はクレジットカード ?F金化いわゆる URL 短?sサービスであるが、複数の URL をまとめてくれる点がユニークだ。「これとこれとこれ、まとめて見ておいて」なんてときに便利ショッピング枠 ?F金化だろう。しかも送られた短?s URL を?_いてみるとちゃんと目次ページも生成され、サイトの?s小画像まで表示されるという?H切さだ。さら にそれらのサ?Q葉植物 レンタルイトはページ内でタブとして表示され、さくっと切り替えてすぐに見ることができる。もちろんフリースクール?eウィンドウで一気に?_くことも可能だ。シンプルなわりによく考えられているサービスではなかろうか。 知っておいても?pはないですね。
                Makes perfect sense to me!

Comment

Yea, What they said.I learned to read and write that way too,but forgot.
                  If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

I Have the same issue but I only have 66" from the bottom of the HVAC ducts to the concrete floor. Will a 80" prehung door work for me? I have 6 panel hollow doows though the whole house and would like to use the same look in the basement but lopping off 14" is going to make the doors look stupid?? Also what about the lock set? someone mentioned that ther is not much wood in the doors in the lock set area. I don't whan the door knobs to be at knee level what is a easy fix for my low ceiling issue here? I should have gone with an 8' dig for the basemnt when I had the house built instead of 7'

Comment

I think you are right, it would look pretty silly if you cut 7" off the top and bottom of the door. Other options might be to use a hollow core door, no one will give it a second thought because it is in the basement. Or, you could build a six panel door yourself. It's not that tough.

Tom

Comment

66" from the bottom of the HVAC duct to the floor? By the time you get finished the rough framing, you'll be down to about 62". I would look for another location for the door where the HVAC duct work won't obstruct your door opening height.

Comment

Working...
                        X