X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Florida builders here

I have T111 siding on my house. When it was originally built, no vapor or moisture barrier was used. The plywood T111 was placed directly onto the studs. We don't use a plastic barrier under the drywall here in Florida at all either. I am in the process of replacing some siding and I'm debating on whether to put felt behind it. My main concern is if the house will be able to breath with the felt paper. I don't want condensation issues in the wall cavities. Is it a bad idea to use a vapor barrier in a hot climate?

Re: Any Florida builders here

I guess I'd check with my local building inspector and see what people are doing in similar situations. They should be able to give you a good read on that. If that fails, go to a big lumberyard that caters to the contracting trade and ask their opinion. They can tell you in a heartbeat what the local builders are doing based on the siding you're referencing and the construction of the building. Good luck,
    Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by bluefitness View Post
      I have T111 siding on my house. When it was originally built, no vapor or moisture barrier was used. The plywood T111 was placed directly onto the studs. We don't use a plastic barrier under the drywall here in Florida at all either. I am in the process of replacing some siding and I'm debating on whether to put felt behind it. My main concern is if the house will be able to breath with the felt paper. I don't want condensation issues in the wall cavities. Is it a bad idea to use a vapor barrier in a hot climate?
      Florida building codes say there has to be a vapor barrier. Felt paper is fine if thats what you want to use. I would think there is some mold issues going on now if there is no vapor barrier now. If not your lucky.The house will still breath with the barrier.

Comment

If you have more than one vapor barrier moisture will collect between them. Your insulation should have a vapor retarder (less accurately referred to as a vapor barrier) which is normally placed to the warm side of the insulation. Just be sure you don't have insulation with a vapor retarder such as kraft (treated) paper, plastic sheeting, foil, etc already on the inside of the wall cavity. Otherwise moisture that finds its way into the wall from wither side will be trapped and condense causing problems.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X