X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drywall patch question

I didn't know where to post this question, so I apologize if it's on the wrong forum... but here goes anyway

I need to patch a small hole from a lose anchor, can I just fill it and let it dry and then set another anchor? do I need to use tape? or do I need to do something all together to ensure a strong hold on the new anchor?

thanks much!

Re: drywall patch question

What are you trying to anchor?

Comment

a toilet paper holder - it's in a bathroom with wallpaper and because of the shape of the hardware, I can't move the holes, rather I need to use the same - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ExcellentDF View Post
        a toilet paper holder - it's in a bathroom with wallpaper and because of the shape of the hardware, I can't move the holes, rather I need to use the same - thanks!
        A TP holder shouldn't have too much force on it (compared to a towel) rack, and its failure doesn't have terribly dire consequences. I would do something pretty quick with it and not try to overthink or overengineer.

If the holes are small enough that the TP holder's trim will cover them; you could try a different type of anchor. For example, a toggle or molly bolt would go through the hole and hold itself to the backside of the drywall and you wouldn't need to patch the hole.

Comment

[quote=cpw;205194]...and not try to overthink or overengineer.[quote]

right!?! LOL

ok - cool - thanks!

Comment

Just use the next size bigger anchor & maybe some glue or silicone behind it for a good hold.

Comment

Consider using a couple screw in plastic anchors, they hold very well in sheetrock.

Comment

If you need to fill the hole though, and want it to have strength, use a setting drywall compound on it like Durabond -90. It has Portland cement in it and will make a very sound patch. Good rockers always use a setting compound first when taping and then finish up with two to three coats of the lightweight sandable muds.
                Cheers,
                Jim Don

Comment

Durabond 90 is the best!!! So strong! But watch out because it is really NOT sandable! That's why it's not used for the finish coat. It sets up fast too (90 minutes and its rock hard).

Comment

Here's a couple options. The screw in anchors mentioned before are shown here.

They should work but a toggle might be a better choice if anchors have already
                    been ripped out. Ideally there should be a backer behind the rock to give you
                    something to anchor into.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17475/1/
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X