X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insulating Damp basement

Thanks for the responses even though 4 months late. She hasn't done anything with the basement - trying to find a reasonably priced landscaper to do some recontouring to get the water away from the house. As far as the attic goes, I had the loose fill under the batts tested - No Asebestos! - then tore the paper off the upside down batts, and then blew some cellulose over all of it to fill the gaps. Kept it away from the soffits, and the house is staying much cooler now. Thanks again for all the responses.
    Jim

Comment

i may be wrong, but if the paper facing of the insulation that was removed was towards the heated area, with the insulation between the paper and the unheated space, then the vapor barrier has been removed. this could cause condensation between the insulation and the heated surface below it. trapped condensation could lead to mold.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The paper facing was removed from a boatload of upside down installed batts that had the paper on top. In this part of the country you put the vapor barrier against the HEATED space. If you put the insulation between the barrier and the heated space per your post above then you have entrapment. They were installed on top of some loose fill insulation. I would have gone thru and just flipped them if the house did not have the loose fill under them. After pulling the paper and straightening them up, I added more loose fill on top to fill in the gaps, as the rafter spacing was very irregular to say the least. A vapor barrier would be nice but I didn't see removing all the insulation on a tight budget.
        Last edited by JTROANOKE; 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X