Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• staggered stud insulation

hi carpenters.

is this the proper way of insulating a boiler/mech room staggered stud wall?

also, would this type of wall be good for an exterior wall for a house?

the reason i'm asking is because where i live i see heat transfere right though a 2x6 exteroir walls and always wondered if anybody uses this type of exterior wall construction.

Vince

my drawing is not to scale
    Attached Files

Re: staggered stud insulation

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
    hi carpenters.

is this the proper way of insulating a boiler/mech room staggered stud wall?

also, would this type of wall be good for an exterior wall for a house?

the reason i'm asking is because where i live i see heat transfere right though a 2x6 exteroir walls and always wondered if anybody uses this type of exterior wall construction.

Vince

my drawing is not to scale
    Hi Vince, Staggered stud construction is used for sound insulation, but I see no reason it wouldn't work for heat/cold insulating as well. However, in your locale, why not double the thick ness of the snowblocks used for the igloo?

Comment

Re: staggered stud insulation

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      Hi Vince, Staggered stud construction is used for sound insulation, but I see no reason it wouldn't work for heat/cold insulating as well. However, in your locale, why not double the thick ness of the snowblocks used for the igloo?
      Sounds like it might work, staggered stud walls that is. There would be no break in the insulation. You could create a 6" cavity with 2x4s and use 6" batts. But have to be sure you don't leave any voids or any improvement in R value would be lost.

Double wythe ice blocks work better with an air gap between them.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
      X