Zip Ties for Rebar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

The ties only need to hold the rebar tight long enough for the concrete to cure but I wouldn't trust zip ties either. Any stress on the rebar before could cause them to pop.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      I am with Tom, wire is faster AND cheaper, why would you want to use zip ties Ben?
      I'm inspecting a project and the contractor ran out of tie wire but for some reason has a gazillion zip ties. They were going to use the zip ties but need my approval to proceed. This is for a concrete cistern stand and I can't find anything that prohibits it's use.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The question you may wish to consider is, 'Who will be liable if the concrete snaps a zip tie, the rebar pushes to the outside of the form and has to be jack hammered out and repoured? Or, who is liable if the rebar moves inside the form, where no one can see, and the concrete or project fails?'

If you give the OK to use the zip ties you, the entity you represent, or both, may have an element of contribitary neglegence with which to contend because you gave the OK to deviate from standard building practices.

Does the contractor want this change order in writing? If so his butt may be covered. I would probably attempt to cover mine and disallow the ties.

Just a thought.

Tom
        Last edited by Tom W; 02-24-2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I agree with Tom, to cover my a$$ I would not allow it, if you were pouring a slab for your bbq grill or something in your backyard where structural integrity isnt as much of an issue I wouldnt allow it

Comment

You can make a twister tool with out the handle, chuck it up in the drill then start tieing the wire. It will draw as tight as you need it.
            If there is alot of tieing you will be glad at the end of the day. I know some concrete guys that can tie 2 to 1 with the drill system.

Comment

Working...
            X