Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zip Ties for Rebar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zip Ties for Rebar

    Does anyone know if if zip ties to fasten rebar cages for concrete reinforcment s acceptable?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

  • #2
    Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

    Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Does anyone know if* zip ties to fasten rebar cages for concrete reinforcment s acceptable?
    I have been on a number of construction sites and I have never seen them used. Potato bag hooks and preformed wire would be as fast or faster than zip ties. If you have many thousands of them to do you might consider buying a tying gun. They work well but most engineers don't allow their use because they don't tie as tightly as by hand. Once you get the hang of it, tying by hand with linemans pliers and tie wire goes pretty fast.

    If this is a municipal job the bid documents will spell out exactly the way the wire has to be tied and the specs on the wire to be used, eg if the bar is galvanized you will probably need to use coated wire so it will not scratch the galvanizing off the wire. Some joints may need to be double tied. You don't want to get your cages set, have the rebar inspection before you pour, and find out some joints on the inside need to be retied.

    Tom
    Last edited by Tom W; 02-23-2009, 07:21 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

      I am with Tom, wire is faster AND cheaper, why would you want to use zip ties Ben?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

        I have always jsut used wire, and now the preformed wire, but before the preformed I would still used a "twister" and jsut bend the end over to form a loop to hook, and that made the twist 4 wires instead of jsut 2 so it was a stronger twist,

        If you use the preformed get ones long enough, if there short there not fun to work with,, and use a heavy enough gage of wire,
        Attached Files
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

          Hey Spinner,
          Do you know why EICs on municipal jobs will not allow the use of tying guns? I always inferred it was because they wouldn't tie tight enough. But you can adjust the tension and double tie with a gun way faster than tying a single loop by hand.

          Tom

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

            I am not sure, Ill ask one of the DOT guys this week and get back to you

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

              if it's anything like we see in calif. i say union politics

              the ties i use are like the ones bhd showed. except the tensioner is the one thatworks like a yankee screwdriver in reverse. you pull back and it tensions and twist. very fast.

              rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                if it's anything like we see in calif. i say union politics

                the ties i use are like the ones bhd showed. except the tensioner is the one thatworks like a yankee screwdriver in reverse. you pull back and it tensions and twist. very fast.

                rick.

                I've used both, and both work very well.


                I can't see zip ties being approved because even though encased in concrete, the rebar must stay together over time; plastic will never allow that.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                  Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  I've used both, and both work very well.


                  I can't see zip ties being approved because even though encased in concrete, the rebar must stay together over time; plastic will never allow that.
                  How do you figure? stretching? Honestly I always thought that the wire was kind of sacrificial that it was just to hold it together long enough for the concrete to set up. I may be 100% wrong, my expertise is hardly in concrete work

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                    I have done very little concrete work involving rebar, but I have used countless plastic ties and metal lashing wire. There is no way I would trust plastic ties to hold rebar during an important or expensive pour in place of metal wire! Unless the plastic tie was made specifically for that use it is risky in my opinion. Most people who use the medium size plastic ties 15" think they are strong enough to be used as handcuffs. Wrong! If you give your wrists a quick twist the tie wrap will snap off, I've done it plenty of times. Doubt you could do the same thing with that metal wire wrap.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      Most people who use the medium size plastic ties 15" think they are strong enough to be used as handcuffs. Wrong! If you give your wrists a quick twist the tie wrap will snap off, I've done it plenty of times.
                      Breaking out of zip tie handcuffs is a past time?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I have done very little concrete work involving rebar, but I have used countless plastic ties and metal lashing wire. There is no way I would trust plastic ties to hold rebar during an important or expensive pour in place of metal wire! Unless the plastic tie was made specifically for that use it is risky in my opinion. Most people who use the medium size plastic ties 15" think they are strong enough to be used as handcuffs. Wrong! If you give your wrists a quick twist the tie wrap will snap off, I've done it plenty of times. Doubt you could do the same thing with that metal wire wrap.
                        Don't want to know.

                        I've put my share of the "twisties" pictured in. Helped pour the concrete on them too. I did not find them particularly strong in any way. EASY to pop the rings on them when installing.

                        I think zips installed correctly would probably hold fine. Only way to know is have a test comparison between the two. You might be surprised. No matter what CYA.

                        J.C.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                          Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Breaking out of zip tie handcuffs is a past time?
                          I know. Next thing you know he'll post his hobbies as hanging out in his garage painting clowns.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I know. Next thing you know he'll post his hobbies as hanging out in his garage painting clowns.

                            J.C.
                            No painting clowns(don't know where you got that one from?). Worked many years placing and removing telephone cables on telephone poles, building and ungerground(manholes). There was some down time and being young and strong and not too smart, we would see what we could, lift, bend or break. Unless you've done a real man's job it's difficult to explain. I think I just got it? John Wayne Gasy?(sp)
                            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Zip Ties for Rebar

                              Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              Breaking out of zip tie handcuffs is a past time?
                              See what you started Charles?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X