X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substrate for laminate countertop that will see freezing tem"

I plan on making a laminate countertop for a cottage. Cntrtp is L shaped and I cannot make it without a seam nor can I put the seam thru the sink. So I will have a full length (width of cntrtp) seam.

My question is what would make a better substrate for the countertop considering it will be closed for the winter and see below freezing temps. It could see as low as 0 degress or less and I cannot build the countertop without seams. I’m afraid this will play havoc on the seams.

Cost of substrate is not an issue -within reason. That is, I’m considering between MDF, particle board or possibly even plywood. The cost between these materials is not an issue but I don’t know which would be best for the huge temp swings the place will see between summer and winter.
    Any help, suggestions or prior experience with a situation like this would help.

Re: substrate for laminate countertop that will see freezing tem"

Twelve or 15 years ago I put a new counter top in the kitchen and built a vanity top for the bathroom at our summer cottage. It is way below zero for days on end during the winter and the cottage is closed. I used doubled 3/4" plywood. There are no seams like you will have but the edges haven't lifted. The issue might be more of insuring the laminate is well covered with glue and rolled down well at the seams.

Tom

Comment

Re: substrate for laminate countertop that will see freezing tem"

If you are planning not to change your house for coming 8 to 10 yr then I would suggest that, you better go with marble top, i know this could be a bit heavy on your pocket, but against laminated top, it will give you more durability.
      Quality Builing Material | Best Concrete Paves

Comment

Working...
      X