Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Vent cover

Hello
    I will be having a new roof (shingles) put on and would like to know what vent to use for duct work for the roof.
    Right now I have a 4 inch flexible duct work ending right at teh bottom of one of my turbine vents (i know tht is wrong and that is why I am correcting it now). Also, I am going to have a ridge vent installed and have the turbines removed. Any opinions? Thanks, Ron

Re: Roof Vent cover

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
    Hello
    I will be having a new roof (shingles) put on and would like to know what vent to use for duct work for the roof.
    Right now I have a 4 inch flexible duct work ending right at teh bottom of one of my turbine vents (i know tht is wrong and that is why I am correcting it now). Also, I am going to have a ridge vent installed and have the turbines removed. Any opinions? Thanks, Ron
    Forgot to mention, it is for my bathroom exhaust fan.

Comment

Im not sure what code requires, but for the most part what I see is people venting them to the soffit and putting some kinda vent on them. I have never seen one go through the roof and if it were my house wouldnt want it done that way.

Comment

Here's a good article on the subject by Tim Carter...

http://www.askthebuilder.com/546_Bat...tilation.shtml

(installation video)
        http://www.askthebuilder.com/Roof_Fl...ns_Video.shtml

You have to pay attention to a couple of things...

You want to choose a proper vent with back draft protection (keeps cold and pests out etc.)

You need to make sure that your duct work in the attic is properly insulated all the way to the point of connection.
        If this isn't done water can condense on the cold surface of the duct and cause all sorts of problems like mold, mildew, rot and even water dripping from the fan in the bathroom.
        This could short out electrical connections causing breakers to trip or even cause a fire

Here is an example of the proper roof caps to use for your project...
        http://www.rewci.com/roofcaps.html

HTH
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
          Im not sure what code requires, but for the most part what I see is people venting them to the soffit and putting some kinda vent on them. I have never seen one go through the roof and if it were my house wouldnt want it done that way.
          Future, you have to be careful with a soffit venting locations as the hot humid air can be drawn up through the soffit vents and into the attic making the whole process of venting to the outside redundant...

Not saying it can't be or isn't done just saying you have to be aware of this...

I think the best location for a bathroom vent is actually a straight horizontal run of duct work from the fan to an outside wall (sloped slightly towards outside wall vent if possible...)

Also, all duct joints should be sealed with metal tape.... NOT duct tape as duct tape is no good for ducts...
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Hello jbergstrom
            Thank you very much for the info. I wasn't keen on the idea of venting it out of the soffit either. I figure since I am going through the expense of roofing, it should be done correctly. I found the Broan roof vent cap for perfect for my installation.
            Thanks, Ron

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
              Future, you have to be careful with a soffit venting locations as the hot humid air can be drawn up through the soffit vents and into the attic making the whole process of venting to the outside redundant...

Not saying it can't be or isn't done just saying you have to be aware of this...

I think the best location for a bathroom vent is actually a straight horizontal run of duct work from the fan to an outside wall (sloped slightly towards outside wall vent if possible...)

Also, all duct joints should be sealed with metal tape.... NOT duct tape as duct tape is no good for ducts...
              I have seen many developers use the type of cap you posted on soffit venting. I have also seen it on an exterior wall useing a dryer vent cap.

Comment

I have seen many developers use the type of cap you posted on soffit venting. I have also seen it on an exterior wall useing a dryer vent cap.
                Future, where I live I'm currently working on a project to replace all soffit vents in one of our buildings... This is why ->

As you can see the hot humid air is collecting on the underside of the soffit in the picture above (this soffit is located above an exterior concrete sidewalk that leads to individual outside entrances to the units in this building)
                In that picture there is drywall (firestop) installed under the soffit (as per the building code here) so the soffit doesn't really breathe or vent in this application... However the hot, humid air is condensing and causing mold, mildew and damage to the firestop (drywall) under the soffit. These vents also dripped water onto the sidewalk below which then freezes into mud puddle sized chunks of ice that aren't exactly safe...

This is the top floor and the "fix" for this problem is going to be relocating the vents through the conventional truss framed hip roof above using the same kind of vents suggested to Ronald (above).

We thought about relocating the vents further out on the soffit of the actual eaves but decided that it would be a waste of time because the hot, humid air would find it's way into the attic in that location (soffit would be breathing and venting in that location)

Here is a couple more shots of similar problems on the other side of the building ->

The bathroom vents were located in the soffit under each deck for the unit below... This location caused lots of damage
                The soffit had to be removed, the mold and mildew had to be taken care of, then the area had to be treated with a mildewcide (sp?).

I rerouted the exhausts (ducts) straight through the fascia and installed hooded vents with proper back draft flaps (you can see one above)

I fixed 16 units (three story building, 8 units per floor) just before Christmas and this spring (whenever the snow stops) I'll have 8 units where the vents will be relocated out through the roof.

I suppose if you lived in an area that was very windy or had lots of air circulation then venting through soffit wouldn't be a problem... They do make the caps (as pictured) just for that purpose.

Myself, however, I can only speak from my own experience and to that end it has been a costly endeavor removing and relocating all the vent locations in our soffit. YMMV
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------

Comment

Future, where I live I'm currently working on a project to replace all soffit vents in one of our buildings... This is why ->

As you can see the hot humid air is collecting on the underside of the soffit in the picture above (this soffit is located above an exterior concrete sidewalk that leads to individual outside entrances to the units in this building)
                  In that picture there is drywall (firestop) installed under the soffit (as per the building code here) so the soffit doesn't really breathe or vent in this application... However the hot, humid air is condensing and causing mold, mildew and damage to the firestop (drywall) under the soffit. These vents also dripped water onto the sidewalk below which then freezes into mud puddle sized chunks of ice that aren't exactly safe...

This is the top floor and the "fix" for this problem is going to be relocating the vents through the conventional truss framed hip roof above using the same kind of vents suggested to Ronald (above).

We thought about relocating the vents further out on the soffit of the actual eaves but decided that it would be a waste of time because the hot, humid air would find it's way into the attic in that location (soffit would be breathing and venting in that location)

Here is a couple more shots of similar problems on the other side of the building ->

The bathroom vents were located in the soffit under each deck for the unit below... This location caused lots of damage
                  The soffit had to be removed, the mold and mildew had to be taken care of, then the area had to be treated with a mildewcide (sp?).

I rerouted the exhausts (ducts) straight through the fascia and installed hooded vents with proper back draft flaps (you can see one above)

I fixed 16 units (three story building, 8 units per floor) just before Christmas and this spring (whenever the snow stops) I'll have 8 units where the vents will be relocated out through the roof.

I suppose if you lived in an area that was very windy or had lots of air circulation then venting through soffit wouldn't be a problem... They do make the caps (as pictured) just for that purpose.

Myself, however, I can only speak from my own experience and to that end it has been a costly endeavor removing and relocating all the vent locations in our soffit. YMMV

Live and learn I guess... Thanks for straightening me out. I have a 200 unit development I do alot of work for and every one of them just has the duct laying in the attic not vented to the outside in any way.

Comment

Live and learn I guess... Thanks for straightening me out. I have a 200 unit development I do alot of work for and every one of them just has the duct laying in the attic not vented to the outside in any way.
                    Hey no problem Future

OMG those ducts have to be vented to the outside and not only that but they have to be insulated all the way to the point of connection to the vent...

The situation you describe is a disaster waiting to happen... Re and re is VERY expensive... The first thing that will happen is mold, mildew and then rot

You should point this out to someone as soon as possible...

Good luck with that, I hope they catch it in time
                    Cheers! - Jim
                    -------------

Comment

Hey no problem Future

OMG those ducts have to be vented to the outside and not only that but they have to be insulated all the way to the point of connection to the vent...

The situation you describe is a disaster waiting to happen... Re and re is VERY expensive... The first thing that will happen is mold, mildew and then rot

You should point this out to someone as soon as possible...

Good luck with that, I hope they catch it in time
                      No body really gives a damn. Each one is independently owned and the HOA and managment company are the ones I am suppose to contact if I need to talk to an owner, and neither of them will do a damn thing about it....

Comment

No body really gives a damn. Each one is independently owned and the HOA and managment company are the ones I am suppose to contact if I need to talk to an owner, and neither of them will do a damn thing about it....
                        And we all wonder why insurance is so expensive...

Is there a building inspector or code office you could contact?
                        Cheers! - Jim
                        -------------

Comment

And we all wonder why insurance is so expensive...

Is there a building inspector or code office you could contact?

Im sure I could call code, but I doubt they care either.... seeing as they passed code 3or 4 years ago. It was right after Katrina so the inspectors were overwhelmed with all of the construction and probably missed and overlooked alot. I also wouldn't want to do that and risk pissing off the people who I get alot of work from.

Comment

Im sure I could call code, but I doubt they care either.... seeing as they passed code 3or 4 years ago. It was right after Katrina so the inspectors were overwhelmed with all of the construction and probably missed and overlooked alot. I also wouldn't want to do that and risk pissing off the people who I get alot of work from.
                            I hear you...

What a nightmare Katrina must have been (and still is... )

Something is back asswards though... The people you work for should be thankful if someone is able to point out deficiencies that could wind up costing them major bucks down the road if not addressed...

Oh well, you have to make a living... maybe you'll get in on the repair work down the road...
                            Cheers! - Jim
                            -------------

Comment

Working...
                            X