X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airless Paint Spayer

I know RIDGID doesn't make on, or at least not to my knowledge, but does anyone have any suggestions on which brand/make is a good reliable unit that can be purchased without costing an arm and a leg (I would like to keep the arm to hold on to the spray gun), thanks in advance.

Re: Airless Paint Spayer

I have a spraytech model 1720 I bought at lowes some years ago.I admit I'm not a professional painter and it doesnt get used all day everyday but it has sprayed 100's of gallons of paint and been very reliable.It was about 500 bucks and they do have less expensive models of the same brand.I have taken good care of it as I do all my tools clean it well use the pump saver and the seperating oil like the manual says.

Comment

How difficult is the cleaning up?

Comment

I have used Graco airless paint sprayers and would have no problem recommending them...

examples..... ->
        http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sprayers/Graco.shtml

"How difficult is the cleaning up?"

It depends what you're spraying?

Water base (latex etc.) is fairly easy...

Oils and solvents take more time....

I used to spray lots of water based paints and stains and a typical cleanup went something like this.....

Unscrew the tip (zip-tip) off the gun and drop it into a clean bucket of water...

Unhook my 5 gal bucket of stain or paint from the machine and carefully lift out the suction tube with strainer and transfer to a five gal bucket 3/4 full of clean water...

Turn the pump back on and rest the gun on the edge of the five gal paint bucket, turn the pressure down a bit the pull the trigger while aiming at the inside side (make sense?) of bucket so splashing etc. is avoided... do this until you see water starting to come out of the gun (this clears the paint out of the line and puts it back into your paint bucket)

Once you have water coming out of the gun start shooting the water back into the clean bucket where your suction tube is pumping from... continue spraying and recycling the water for about five minutes or so.. take the strainer off the end of the suction tube and toss into the tip bucket...

Dump that water (or change buckets) to more clean water and this time squirt it into a separate bucket until you get clean water coming out of the gun... once that happens you know that the pump and line are clear and clean...

At this point I unscrew the gun from the line and pop the screen cartridge out and throw the whole works into the tip bucket... finally I sit down and using a small brass brush I clean all the parts in the tip bucket...

The whole process involves three 5 gal buckets, clean water (garden hose) and about 15 or 20 mins. Not a bad price to pay considering the amount of time saved by spraying instead of brushing or rolling...

Oil based cleanup is doing all that but with solvents instead...

I still had to brush certain areas and often had to backroll surfaces but you still save lots of time overall

HTH
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

That was what I was wondering, thanks. Doesn't sound too bad

Comment

Can the spraytech model 1720 spray lacquer?

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
              You can spray just about anything with an airless sprayer but they are best suited for heavy bodied coatings, and push out a lot of paint. That's why you have to back brush or back roll the finish. I sure wouldn't want to do that with lacquer. I would use an HVLP or syphon feed gun with a compressor when spraying with lacquer. A spray gun is easier to control and a whole lot easier to clean (and cheaper too) if using lacquer thinner or denatured alchohol at about $10 bucks a gallon as your cleaning medium.

Comment

I have sprayed laquers with an airless and there are a couple of issues.

The sell special tips for low viscosity fluids and they cost more.

And there are to situations that collide between spraying laquer and using an airless. An airless is an open system. You can go to the trouble to try and close it up, but it would be very difficult to close the system sufficiently to avoid the issue I'm going to mention. Laquer dries very fast. In a closed system, like a conventional or hvlp with a cup or tank, the laquer isn't exposed to any outside air and doesn't skin over like it would with an airless set up. You can try and cover the laquer well, but I don't think I would ever get a system down that would give me a situation I would be happy with.

Laquer is very "hot". It will dissolve any other type finish that is in your lines and they will make an appearence in your new finish. This is especially true if you use the same rig for latex and laquer. If you insist on using the same rig to do both, I would recommend having a dedicated hose and gun to spray laquers.

I'll agree with the ability to do a better finish with other types of guns. I don't care for syphon guns personally. I have an hvlp gun with a 2 1/2 gallon pressure pot that I use for sizeable jobs. I also have a gravity feed gun for smaller stuff. I also like to spray my stains with the gravity feed gun simply because of the ease of cleanup. There is a husky hvlp, the orange store, for about $80 that will do excellent work if it is used properly.

With syphon guns you have to watch the bottom of the cup to stay out of the work a little more. This is true of the top of gravity feed guns also, but the top is more in the line of site and less of an issue IMO.

The advantage of a pressure pot is that you can mix larger amounts and you can go off and leave it unattended for much longer. I can leave the laquer in it for several days if need be. You just need to stir it up and make sure you flush the line back into the pot so that you have freshly stirred material at the gun.

Comment

Graco or Titan are both good brands, you need the correct tip for what your spraying and you many need a sprayer that is some what designed for the materials you want to spray as well, I have two old EH333 Graco's, there were the sprayer in the 70's for commercial airless painting.

If your paint is running you have the wrong tips or technique.

on lacquers I have always used a paint pot and a quality air gun, but that is what I bought 30+ years ago in the cabinet shop and have not changed.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
                    The short answer Yes. A nephew just borrowed mine to spray lacquer about a month ago.The work looked great.

I will agree with others there are better systems to spray lacquer with though.

Comment

We have a Graco that we are very happy with. We bought the 3' wand extension which means we don't need to use a ladder as often. We also bought an extension hose - 25' I believe. That means fewer moves of the sprayer/paint setup. We never use ours for anything but water-based materials, so we only have done water cleanups. It's pretty easy, but you'll need a hose handy. The unit comes with a nice video on how to use and clean the unit - very helpful! We bought three five gallon plastic buckets to use with ours - this helps a lot. Using one is amazingly fast. Our last job we painted the entire outside of a 2,000 sq ft home. It took longer to tape off than to paint.
                      Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                      I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                      My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

You would be much better off in spraying lacquers with the correct equipment, I suggest a Binks gun (granted they are not cheap.) They will atomize correctly.

I have a Graco XR9, and for heavy bodied paints it works fine. (use it for house paints and stains)

I painted yachts for many years, the last gun I used was a Binks 2001 and a Model 95.
                        Both excellent guns for polys, lacquers, urethane, etc.. Use these for clears on fine cabinet work, and or for what they are intended (mainly) automotive, boat, and or aircraft topcoats.

There are some air assisted airless guns that may do the job, however I have never used them.

Comment

I had a Binks Mach 1 gun and pressure pot that got stolen.

I replaced it with this setup

http://www.gleempaint.com/waghvcongunw.html

The gun is larger but it does a nice job. I actually like the pressure pot better than the Binks one that I had. It has wheels on it and a flat bottom. The plus of the flat bottom is that you can put a gallon can inside the tank. The drawback is that it will start pushing air with a larger quantity of material in the tank. Of course you can pour it into a smaller can to overcome that issue. I've seen guys ruin binks pots by cutting off the suction tube so they could put cans inside. They have a curved bottom so you'd have to cut a few inches off to put a can in there.

Comment

I had a Mach 1, but the last one I had (I sold after my accident), was the 95SL outfit. Granted at that time, you could just buy the gun. I already had the PP.
                            Great setup, made spraying Awl-Grip fairly easy, and Imron was a joke. (well not a joke, it is good stuff, just easy to spray (for a Pro).
                            However, if you are not use to spraying, the easiest to spray with minimal faults for a novice is basecoat / clear coat paints. (I could teach a 10 year old to spray that stuff.)

But my accident has me at very little use of my wrists, so I don't paint anymore. (unless I am on a ton of pain pills)
                            Last edited by BCR; 03-21-2009, 02:41 AM. Reason: added notification (nothing else)

Comment

I have a Graco XR7 and I like it a lot. The biggest thing that I can suggest is to change the tips regularly. They do wear out and don't spray as well at that point. Clean up is faster than cleaning out rollers. Simply hook a water hose up to the suction tube, remove the tip, spray out the paint in the line, then spray the water until it is clean. I like to to reassemble the gun and spray a little water out at low volume to clean the tip. The water doesn't fully clean it out but, it makes life easier when you use the brush to get out the final bits of paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X