X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky stairs

Our house is 10 years old, and the stairs down to the basement squeak on pretty much every tread.

I believe the solution is to get underneath, and drive some wedges into the offending joints. Could anyone point me in the direction of a good guide on the practicalities of how to do this, and whether to start at the top or bottom please? Or even a different method.

This is likely a one-time deal, we'll be finishing the basement out in the next year or so, so now is the opportunity.

Thanks in anticipation!

Re: Squeaky stairs

I found this article at This Old House. It's called "A Silent Stair". It may just have your answer. There's other articles at TOH that address how to fix a squeaky floor.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

As long as the underside is open, the fix is quite simple. Over time the wood has shrunk and thus the squeaks. Make a bunch of 3/4x 3/4" blocks about two inches long and go underneath the stairs and glue these block every place you can--tread to riser, tread to stringer, riser to stringer, etc. I suggest using Titebond II glue. Put on a generous amount on two sides of the block and push in place. No need to nail, although if you have a brad nailer it doesn't hurt.

Comment

Pipestone, do you think Liquid Nails would be a good adhesive in this situation? Would there be a reason to use Titebond over Liquid Nails? I'm just curious. Your solution sounds like the right thing to do, I'm just wondering about the adhesive for my own curiosity. I hope this doesn't subvert this thread from the answer!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

maybe screwing some long deckscrews in an angle from the tread to the stringer?

Vince

Comment

Screws will work the best, from the underside as Vince mentioned. Do not send them thru your treads, this might cause you or someone to have a foot problem, when stepped on....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

VAS, I imagine Liquid nails would be fine. I'm just a fan of glue blocks with Titebond. When you squeeze the blocks in place, you are sure of a tight fit.

Comment

I am going to throw my 2 cents in. If the stairs were properly made originally it should be just a matter of going underneath and tightening up the wedges that are already in place. If it is so loose that some of them have fallen out take one of them that are there (note the riser and tread wedges will differ) and they will be made for your set of stairs, duplicate them and drive them into place. If not I would recommend a foam adhesive if your are going to use blocks as it will expand a little to fill any voids and also seep into the cracks that are causing the nasty squeaks.

Comment

I had that problem on a large scale with the kitchen floor. From under I had access to the joists. What I did in the mean time of a permanent solution is put chain saw oil where the joints meet the floor. It stoped the cracking instantly. The permanent fixed was to install ironangle pieces screwed on the joist and the floor. The beauty of that installation is it really pull the floor down.

Comment

From my experience the best fix would be to use the blocks as mentioned glueing them with a high quality construction adhesive such as PL Premium and screw the blocks on to your carriages and treads. Your stairs will never squeak again.

Bill

P.S. if you really want to get in seams between your treads and carriages use any diluted wood glue in a large needled syringe and inject between the treads before you screw them permanently with the construction adhesive

Comment

Glue and screw..nuff said.
                      As for glue.I did a glue test a few years ago. Two 2*4 used f 26 and liquid nails.Glued and shot with 10ds from nail gun.The liquid nails pulled apart and left glue on both boards. F 26 pulled chunks of wood from both boards.
                      Ohh go Memphis tigers....
                      If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X