looking wood burning storage/drying shed ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking wood burning storage/drying shed ideas

the past 5 years I've been piling my wood 2 years in advance on pallets in rows of 4 feet high by 16 feet long(approx 2 cords per row). I would then staple vapor barrior just on the top of the piles. this seems to work ok in the summer time but as soon as we get a snow storm that drifts between the piles followed by warm weather I end up burning wet wood for the remainder of the winter.

I figure if I build a 10'x20'x8'high walls I could easily fit 20 face cords if I pile it 8' high. this would allow me to have 10 dry cords for heating and 10 cords in drying.

I was thinking of digging about 12" and then putting clear stone. I would then use PT 4x4's all around on the ground and then build my walls on top of this. I would then put my pallets inside. I plan to put tin on the roof to match my house and garage. my problem is I would have liked to use the same style d4 vinyl siding as my house & garage. I've been told by a few people that I need to have some air gaps all around to allow good air flow for drying the wood.

I'm looking for ideas /pictures of something that would look nice yet be fairly maintenance free.

Jeff

Re: looking wood burning storage/drying shed ideas

Jeff, welcome to the Forum. Would screened louvers be of any help with air flow? I'm thinking if you added two or more to your design it wouldn't matter how you sided the structure, and you would still have plenty of ventilation.

Comment

thanks for the welcome Frankiarmz. I've actually been on here for quite a while under jeffntanya but forgot my password and for some reason when I request it the system is not sending it to me so I had to re register.

when you are talking screened louvers you mean like the type they use on gable ends?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffntanya2003 View Post
        thanks for the welcome Frankiarmz. I've actually been on here for quite a while under jeffntanya but forgot my password and for some reason when I request it the system is not sending it to me so I had to re register.

when you are talking screened louvers you mean like the type they use on gable ends?
        Yes, very similar in design and function only if you are handy with wood you could probably make a couple that were much taller and then screen them over to keep bugs and smaller animals out (birds, mice, etc.). Since your building is design specific you could make the louvers six feet tall and wide enough to fit between the studs. that should allow for plenty of air flow? I keep knocking the idea of a wood burning stove around in my head but it seems that tree service folks in my area are now holding onto the wood and charging rather than giving it away as they once did. I've tried to keep several racks of wood that I use for my fireplace dry with tarps but that doesn't work very well as you can understand. I think your idea of a building for the wood is sound and will allow the wood to dry without rain and snow constantly getting in the way. Please post your results whateve you decide. Good luck, Frank.

Comment

spoke to the township today. apparantly if I build a 10' x 20' I need a permit and it has to be secured to the ground. if I build two 10x10 they don't have to be secured and I don't need a $260 permit.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to build this so it will last and also look decent as it will be noticeable from the road.

Comment

ok here's my plan.. if any experts have comments please let me know.

I will excavate 12" deep of soil. then I will put 5/8" clear gravel and level/pack. I will lay out 4x4 pressure treated lumber and make sure it's square & level. then I will build my walls from 2x4 spruce and attach to the 4x4's. I will use 7/16" osb and then house wrap. I will then put on some vinyl siding and put some gable vents near the bottom all around. the roof will be tin with a ridge vent and soffit ventilation. I will also put a 5x7' garage door in the middle. on the inside I will cover the floor area with wood pallets to pill my wood on. does this all sound ok? should I be driving some rods of some sort into the ground to secure the building?

I know you may question the house wrap thing but since vinyl siding is not 100% water proof it will stop water from getting the osb wet.

any input would be appreaciated .. I would like to start this in the next month.

Comment

Working...
            X