X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood Floor in a Bathroom

Firstly, I know that this is not the best idea. However here's the thing - I am presently layed off from work and I want to renovate my bathroom during this free (but unpaid) time. Since I'm on a strict budget because of the layed off thing, and since I have 3 boxes of pre-finished hickory hardwood floor (left over from my bedrooms), I think I'd like to put it in my bathroom. I was thinking of gluing the joints as I installed it to keep any water from getting under it.

Has anyone done this and is it worth my time and effort or is this going to turn into a disaster 5 years down the road?

Re: Hardwood Floor in a Bathroom

Wood/Water, not the two best combination. Could the flooring survive, yes. But if you have a leak or children, I doubt it. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time, I'd rather install a product that will last and never have to worry about it. I think your bored and you want something to do. Never put yourself on a strict budget and reno a bathroom or a kitchen at that.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Only in a powder room, never with a bathtub or shower

Comment

in the older homes many of the floors were only T&G wood flooring, but most bathrooms were soon covered with some type of sheet flooring as the wood was not holding up well when plumbing came in doors,

I would think you may do better if it was not prefinished, and would or could finish it your self so that all parts of it would or could be covered, one could varnish the back and edges, and seal it up more, and then after installing it make sure all is properly finished up and all the cracks are filled properly but it will move it is wood, and more than likely it will develop cracks in the groves, and a place for water to get into it,

If water is setting on it for any length of time, I think you will run into problems in a short time,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You would be better off to sell the three boxes of pre-finished flooring and buy some sheet goods to cover the bathroom floor with. It might not be as pretty but it will last longer.

Best bet is to wait till you are back to work and have some extra cash to put into a proper floor and save those three boxes of flooring for another project.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

OK, the hardwood in the bathroom is out. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Well my wife had the same idea 2 1/2 years ago when I was converting a 50's powder room to a full bath. I laid T & G Oak in mine but I did Redguard the sub floor before I did. So far no problems with the install.
              Last edited by DIYJOE; 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

Working...
              X