X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to attach corner bead...

I've heard so many conflicting opinions...

It seems short drywall screws would hold the best, but some are saying that it'll buckle the bead and make it difficult to finish. I tried a run of bead with screws, and it looked pretty straight actually. Are there other reasons to avoid screws?

Nails are likely a cheaper approach, but will they hold? Could they rust through the drywall? I have some ring-shank nails; would they be sufficient? I didn't see nails specifically for drywall at the local HD, but I've heard they exist; how do they differ from other nails?

Also, I only saw the plastic corner bead at HD. I've heard some people say to avoid it, but I haven't heard any reasons why. It seems pretty easy to install, although possibly not as strong as metal, it seems like it would provide a decent enough support over the drywall ends.

Please let me know your thoughts, opinions!

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: What to use to attach corner bead...

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
    I've heard so many conflicting opinions...

It seems short drywall screws would hold the best, but some are saying that it'll buckle the bead and make it difficult to finish. I tried a run of bead with screws, and it looked pretty straight actually. Are there other reasons to avoid screws?

Nails are likely a cheaper approach, but will they hold? Could they rust through the drywall? I have some ring-shank nails; would they be sufficient? I didn't see nails specifically for drywall at the local HD, but I've heard they exist; how do they differ from other nails?

Also, I only saw the plastic corner bead at HD. I've heard some people say to avoid it, but I haven't heard any reasons why. It seems pretty easy to install, although possibly not as strong as metal, it seems like it would provide a decent enough support over the drywall ends.

Please let me know your thoughts, opinions!

Thanks,
    Jeff
    sheetrock nails are galvanized, so there is no rust issue. They generally are slim and have a cupped head. They are less likely to cause damage to the rock, but going through the corner bead will reduce that issue. Ring shank will work, but seems like overkill. Roofing nails will work in a pinch. Screws are just fine. You just need to make sure you use enough for the corner to be held securely and you will probably have to fill more with compound.

I have even use 1/4" crown staples in repair situations. You have to be careful to no shoot all the way through the metal in that case.

I'm not big on the plastic myself. Personal preference.
    Last edited by rofl; 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Black drywall nails. Use a small level (or something straight, 8-10" long) when installing if you are new to it, put it perpendicularly to the corner bead, one end on the corner bead "corner" and another on the wall, the corner bead end should be raised a bit to accomodate the nail heads. Make sure that gap between the level surface and the wall is the same size on each side otherwise your corner will be twisted. Slide the level up and down to make sure no nail heads are catching.

Make sure you put the paper tape and affix it with mud or bond at the ceiling inside corner on each side of your vertical corner first BEFORE you do your vertical corner.

Use small trawl (10-12") and Sheetrock 90 or other bond, hold the trawl surface 45 degrees tilted and perfectly perpendicular to the corner bead. Make 1" of your trawl protrude past the corner bead, and press it firmly (but not too hard not to bend the trawl inwards) so that both ends of the trawl slide on the corner bead lip and the drywall respectively. Start your swipe at the ceiling and the floor and meet in between. You will have a small ridge left, just sand that off later.

Finish the corner with mud in the same manner, 2 layers, 1 rough to fill the holes in bond, let it dry 1-2 days, and 2nd "fine" to fill the pinholes in 1st layer of mud. Voila, perfect corner.

Comment

If you are using nails to secure your sheetrock, then nails are fine for the corner bead. Same goes for screws. If you are going to be doing a lot of sheetrock, there is a tool that is held against the metal corner bead and given a slap with a hammer, it crimps the metal into the sheetrock pros use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          If you are using nails to secure your sheetrock, then nails are fine for the corner bead. Same goes for screws. If you are going to be doing a lot of sheetrock, there is a tool that is held against the metal corner bead and given a slap with a hammer, it crimps the metal into the sheetrock pros use it.
          I use that tool, but I still use nails or screws to finish it out. The tool will help with alignment and hold it in place while you add the fasteners.

I've seen many of them come loose when the crimping is all that is done.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
            I use that tool, but I still use nails or screws to finish it out. The tool will help with alignment and hold it in place while you add the fasteners.

I've seen many of them come loose when the crimping is all that is done.
            Thanks for adding your experience. I found this link but no picture. I remember seeing guys use it years ago, but I just went with screws.
            http://www.onlinedrywall.com/Corner_...llet_p/338.htm

Comment

Another option is to use metal corner tape. You can find this at HD or Lowes. Cut it to length, fold it in half and treat it like you would paper tape.

Comment

I've used the metal beads with the paper attached - you just mud it in place - works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sADeniYVIFk
                Last edited by Newman; 04-11-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Use the corner bead tool and ringshank drywall nails. Nice straight corners and no nail pops. If you use drywall screws to hold the corner bead on, because of their bugle head design, you sometimes have a screw head too high to cover with joint compound. When you drive the screw home, it causes the corner bead to buckle somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                    I've used the metal beads with the paper attached - you just mud it in place - works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sADeniYVIFk
                    i.e............metal corner tape

It's not actually a "bead" like the others are. I recommended it also though.

Comment

I used to use ring shank nails but now I think it's overkill. Regular ol' drywall nails seem to hold fine.

Comment

like said I use the crimping tool and then place a few regular dry wall nails in on both edges, across from each other, at the top and bottom and about 3 places in the middle,

http://www.amazon.com/Warner-4-Inch-.../dp/B0000A14RH
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Having done alot myself , drywall nails or screws work fine.
                          depending on where your putting it, ie; high trafic areas.
                          in low trafic zones the simple mud on kind works well.
                          but a corner where the most trafic is I wouldnt go with anything
                          less than the nail/screw on type.

Comment

Working...
                          X