X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are roofing nails good enough?

I saw a guy installing hurricane ties with 1 1/4" roofing nails. Are they good enough to use on this application? Thanks for the help.

Re: Are roofing nails good enough?

nope most roofing nails are what aluminum these days i wouldn't trust them. id go with an 8d minimum depending on framing conditions and the size of the tie

Comment

He was probably thinking they'd be better because of the larger head surface than a standard nail, which means it has that much more surface upon which to spread the sheer load. I'd be concerned about the aluminum, although I'd really think they'd be ok. I don't know about code, however. One advantage of the Al is it won't corrode the steel of the hurricane strap.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Yeah they were H1 ties. And the nails were galvanized too. And I believe you dont have to have these ties around here, you can just toenail the trusses once they are in place to the top plate, at least thats what I had been doing.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          He was probably thinking they'd be better because of the larger head surface than a standard nail, which means it has that much more surface upon which to spread the sheer load. I'd be concerned about the aluminum, although I'd really think they'd be ok. I don't know about code, however. One advantage of the Al is it won't corrode the steel of the hurricane strap.
          tsk tsk tsk Hurricane strap Steel band usually gotten from the lumber thats been delivered that was strapped together and aluminum + steel = Metal oxidation Not rust Per se but the same result

Comment

Originally posted by Fuller The Carpenter View Post
            Yeah they were H1 ties. And the nails were galvanized too. And I believe you dont have to have these ties around here, you can just toenail the trusses once they are in place to the top plate, at least thats what I had been doing.
            if itsa galv to galv thats ok still i wouldnt use roofers for this.

if anything use joist nails for the sheer strength.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
              if anything use joist nails for the sheer strength.
              And what size would you recommend?

Comment

3&1/4" spiral

Comment

And what size would you recommend?

Take your pic http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/27...ing-nails.aspx

Looks like i was right the first time. look here http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/h.asp and look at the tables for H1 fastners
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Arthur96; 05-12-2009, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
                    tsk tsk tsk Hurricane strap Steel band usually gotten from the lumber thats been delivered that was strapped together and aluminum + steel = Metal oxidation Not rust Per se but the same result
                    I was wondering about that. Thanks for putting me straight, Arthur!
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks, so I guess an 1 1/2" 8d nail would be good enough. I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Thanks, so I guess an 1 1/2" 8d nail would be good enough. I'll keep that in mind.
                        well an 8d is what 2 1/2 but the 1 1/2 galv joist nails are full thickness nails like thick as a 16d and you use alot of these as you know you have to nail every hole in the hanger

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post

Na roofers heads are thin and flat it takes nothing to bend or pop them off

Comment

Art is right about the skimpy heads on the roofing nails, they shouldn't be used for joist hangers, hurricane ties etc. etc.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words....

Here's a couple of the appropriate joist hanger nails ->

This one is 1 1/2" x 9 ga.

This one is 1 1/4" x 9 ga.

Cheers! - Jim
                            -------------
                            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

yep yep they are like short 16's roofers to hange ties is a nope nope and aluminum and steel might not rust but will oxydise so same diff.

Still for H1's id shoot for an 8d if possible (as per chart)

Comment

Working...
                              X