Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

paint or stain?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • paint or stain?

    My wood siding needs to be painted. one of the contractors told me if use stain he can warranty 5 years but if use paint the warranty will be three years. Don't know why? Don't know when should use paint and when should use paint? how do I know my existing siding is paint or stain? My house is 1950 house and no idea the last paint time.

  • #2
    Re: paint or stain?

    Originally posted by housecarer View Post
    My wood siding needs to be painted. one of the contractors told me if use stain he can warranty 5 years but if use paint the warranty will be three years. Don't know why? Don't know when should use paint and when should use paint? how do I know my existing siding is paint or stain? My house is 1950 house and no idea the last paint time.
    In a nutshell:

    Stain is more durable because it's more flexible. It allows the wood to expand and contract easier... The stain is a sacrificial coating that takes the weathering instead of the wood. It lasts longer because of these characteristics.

    Paint seals things up but over time as the film weathers it will crack, peel etc. Add to this the expansion and contraction of the wood and the film will fail even faster.

    This means that stained surfaces will last longer...

    Painted surfaces also require more prep work, sanding, scraping etc. (more labor = more money)

    Stain should not be applied to painted surfaces, it works best on raw wood or previously stained surfaces. When stain is applied the wood absorbs some and so the bond is usually better than paint.

    Oil based stains are best IMHO
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: paint or stain?

      Stain needs the same process as paint? primer plus two coasts?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: paint or stain?

        Originally posted by housecarer View Post
        Stain needs the same process as paint? primer plus two coasts?
        Solid hide oil stain is usually self priming... unless your surface has really bad stains that bleed through, then you would use an exterior alkyd stain blocking primer...

        You should follow the manufacturers recommendations

        Most manufacturers don't recommend applying solid hide oil stains over painted surfaces...

        Two coats of stain would be best and last the longest.

        HTH
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: paint or stain?

          my existing siding is paint, i think. my contractor told me "As far as the stain, I plan to power wash, prime and sand (where necessary) and use a solid stain." that means he will apply stain on top of the paint in most of the places. It sounds no good, right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: paint or stain?

            stain seems better than paint but why paint house is more than stain house? because the color?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: paint or stain?

              Originally posted by housecarer View Post
              my existing siding is paint, i think. my contractor told me "As far as the stain, I plan to power wash, prime and sand (where necessary) and use a solid stain." that means he will apply stain on top of the paint in most of the places. It sounds no good, right?
              If he primes the siding then the application of stain on top of that will probably be okay. Again, follow the manufacturers recommendations.
              Ask him what kind of stain he plans on using and look it up on the internet.
              Find out first hand what you're dealing with.

              Stain on primer (manufacturers recommended type) okay...

              Stain on paint not usually okay...

              There are some exotic products out there that combine latex and oil as a so called solid hide stain (Flood brand comes to mind...) that work very well... No priming needed just washed clean surfaces that can include paint. These products are usually more expensive than regular oil or latex based stains.
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

              Comment

              Working...
              X