billable hours?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billable hours?

I work for a plumbing company doing service work. I usually bill from when I get into my truck until i have completed my last job. I usually complete about two to four jobs a day. Due to traffic, and the long distances I have to travel it sometimes takes me up to 2 hours to get from one job to the next. I realize that I can only bill the customer a half hour drive time. The rest of the time I bill to my boss. Just recently he said that he will only be giving us a half hour drive time, and the rest of the hours we have to eat. My question is, can he do that?

Re: billable hours?

Ask him to only send you jobs that are under the 1/2 window that you charge for, otherwise tell the fool that your resignation is soon delivered on the first call you get that takes longer than 30 minutes to get there.

You're basically being told >>> "Look, I'm gonna screw you, are you going to let me hold you still and drive it in" mentality.

Only you are going to unbutton your pants and take it. I wouldn't, and never will.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by maxell View Post
      I work for a plumbing company doing service work. I usually bill from when I get into my truck until i have completed my last job. I usually complete about two to four jobs a day. Due to traffic, and the long distances I have to travel it sometimes takes me up to 2 hours to get from one job to the next. I realize that I can only bill the customer a half hour drive time. The rest of the time I bill to my boss. Just recently he said that he will only be giving us a half hour drive time, and the rest of the hours we have to eat. My question is, can he do that?
      Maybe, you can upsell some other repair work on the long drives to offset the wind shield time,or maybe study something from a tape such as " The power of positive thinking",etc; untill you decide what to do.
      Kenneth Collier
      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
      Jackson, MS 39206
      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by maxell View Post
        No, that is illegal (in my state anyway). Call the State Department of Labor and they will be all over his a$$ really quick. He has to pay you for all hours worked, regardless of wether you are in the company truck driving or not. The territory is way too large imo, if its taking you 2 hours to go from job to job. My territory is fairly large, and I rarely take more than 45 minutes driving between jobs, usually even less.
        Btw, I pay my employee for all the time he is working, driving included. It is the law in this state.
        Last edited by Service Guy; 05-13-2009, 10:58 PM.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

there are lots of companies that pay their guys billable time only. they usually will get more $ per hour than the guys that are on the clock full day.

i only bill my customers job time. travel time is on me, but my 10 mile day can easily add up to 2 hours.

so you really need to see how your original deal was worked out. maybe you need to charge extra for travel beyond a certain distance.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Down here this can be a problem...I live in St. Thomas and have to take ferry to St. John sometimes.Some contractors pay from the dock on 1 side,time at the job,then the dock on that side.I tell them if I have to go I want paid from shop to shop.

Comment

I don't charge a trip charge unless its a long drive. We have some remote areas no one will service can take 2 hours to get to. I do charge a fuel charge + small drive time on top of job time for these jobs. Customers find it fair because they choose to live out in no where.
              Last edited by UnClogNH; 06-21-2009, 01:50 PM.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Its going to matter, are you an employee of the company or are you an independent taking contract work?, if your an employee then it should not matter as you should be making a hourly wage, if your independent, then it is going to be up to the contract you have in place, you might try re-negotiating if your on contract, or tell him, you will bill him drive time based on what the IRS allows. Of course, he could just decide not to send you out anymore and you will have to work with another company..If your an employee, he can't not pay your for the hours your on the job and that includes drive times between jobs.. As I said, it all depends on the agreements in place and the status of your actual employment. That said, I notice you said your located in Vancouver, it will depend on if your in the states or Canada, I know in Vancouver, WA it will depend on the laws in place now and your agreement, if in Canada, I don't know as I have never done any work outside the states.

Comment

Working...
                X