X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shower tile removal/demolition

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    Can you use cement board with Kerdi.
    Among the great joys of Kerdi is that it goes right over regular drywall. As everyone said, demolish to studs and start over. The John Bridge forum is very helpful, the ebook is very useful and thorough. Anything that is not covered in that book can be answered by the VERY helpful guys on that site.

Jonathan

Comment

OMG - spam

This thread is about how to rebuild a shower - not about where to buy tiles. If you want to sell your products there may be a classified section on this forum.

I would never buy any stone product online - with natural stone you need to see the exact slab/tiles you like and take it. I would recommend anyone buying stone to go to your local slabyard or tile place. If you buy onlline what you finally get may not be what you expect.

Comment

Dont mean to hijack this post, but I have similar question... I am new to tiling a shower surround. Most replies to this thread recommend replacing the new cement board, however in my case, it's a new installation, with a bad layout/design.

I just started one wall of 3 on a new installation and not satisfied with the layout I chose. While we can have a long discussion on why i didnt think it out ahead of time, it's a little too late :-( .... nevertheless, needed some input from some experts on how to resolved it.

I have a small area about 3' by 3', using 12" tiles that I need to remove. Rest of the wall is already tiled, I just dont like the way I laid out tiles in this 3x3 section and want to remove and replace this section. I attached tile to durock board and used thinset. It has not yet been grouted. I am wondering how hard it is to remove without damaging the cement board? Since its a new installation, it doesnt make sense to rip out a whole wall, especially when its only a 3'x3' section i want to remove.

Looking for some tips/advice and what the end result of the removal is going to be? Is the wall going to be workable or a mess?

Thanks

Comment

Removal of Thin set tiles on Durock? GOOD LUCK!... If you used the best thin set you can buy, $30 a bag, you will NEVER get the tile off without wrecking the Durock. Maybe if you used the cheapo thinset it may come off- but even then I doubt it. The tile and Durock must come off together- sorry-

Comment

Originally posted by MightyMike View Post
            Dont mean to hijack this post, but I have similar question... I am new to tiling a shower surround. Most replies to this thread recommend replacing the new cement board, however in my case, it's a new installation, with a bad layout/design.

I just started one wall of 3 on a new installation and not satisfied with the layout I chose. While we can have a long discussion on why i didnt think it out ahead of time, it's a little too late :-( .... nevertheless, needed some input from some experts on how to resolved it.

I have a small area about 3' by 3', using 12" tiles that I need to remove. Rest of the wall is already tiled, I just dont like the way I laid out tiles in this 3x3 section and want to remove and replace this section. I attached tile to durock board and used thinset. It has not yet been grouted. I am wondering how hard it is to remove without damaging the cement board? Since its a new installation, it doesnt make sense to rip out a whole wall, especially when its only a 3'x3' section i want to remove.

Looking for some tips/advice and what the end result of the removal is going to be? Is the wall going to be workable or a mess?

Thanks
            If you get to it quick enough you CAN pop the tiles off. Thinset, like any portland cement based product, takes about a month to develop rated strength, and continues (although at a slower rate) to get harder for years.

If the 3x3 section is surrounded by tiles, start by chipping away a tile in the center of the area you want to remove. I use a very sophisticated tood to pop tiles off.... a stiff putty knife. Flimsy putty knives don't work well. Drive it in under the tile carefully.... often you can pop the tile and not even break it if it's a good strong porcelain tile.

The best tool I've found for getting the thinset off the durock (or the tile back) is one of those Fein multimaster type tools if you have one. Dremel, Rockwell and others make lower priced clones. Once you use this tool you will never want to be without. It's good for dozens of remodeling and woodworking jobs. Lacking that, you can chip it away.

If you do damage the durock, and the damage is less than 1/4 inch, just thinset over it. If it's more that that, put some mesh backer board seam tape (not the mesh drywall tape) and use medium bed mortar to replace your tiles.

Comment

Working...
            X