X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown Insulation: Cellulose vs Fiberglass

I've had two contractors visit and give me a quote on upgrading my bungalow insulation from R20 to R50. The first contractor would blow in the fiberglass insulation. He says the cellulose is junk. The second contractor would use cellulose. He said that the blown in fiber glass is "basically garbage". I am obviously not getting an objective view from these contractors. Can anyone comment on the performance and long term viability of these two products?
    thanks,
    Andrew

Re: Blown Insulation: Cellulose vs Fiberglass

hey Andrew, from my experience in the electrical industry,I am a real believer in the cellulose insulation.I went on a service call one day back in the mid 90'sthe home owner had a fire in their dining room,the light fixture shorted out and caught on fire.The only damage that was done was the fixture itself and the plastic junction box had melted and the ceiling joist was charred where the light junction box was nailed to it. I"ve seen first hand that cellulose will not burn and yet fiberglass will.
    i lost my own house to a tornado back in 03,when i rebuilt i went cellulose all the way,walls and ceiling and can say i am very pleased with my choice of insulation.

Comment

I am a cellulose fan my self,

fiberglass is open weave and it does work but air still can flow thorough it,
      cellulose restricts the migration of air flow,

I had fiberglass in a wall of my barn, (100 year old siding on it) it was worth less, took it out and blew in cellulose and the air infiltration was stopped,

I would use fiberglass above tin, as the cellulose is treated with chemicals that if it gets wet is hard on sheet tin.

the fiber glass is less dusty when blowing, and is "cleaner",

I have read a lot and used both, I like the cellulose better, both will "settle". there is no perfect insulation, some may be is that there machine will blow, as the cellulose will blow through the blower, and the fiber glass needs (or should have) a airlock machine to blow it, I think it what they have invested in as to what is better.

you read the web sites and they will both claim to be Superior to each other, and depending on what you look at there both have some type of Superior properties,

I do not think you will have any problems with either one, but for air infiltration cellulose has an advantage in that area, and can come into effect in an attic with thermo siphon of the air in the insulation, when it gets cold,
      I have read, that just 2 inches of cellulose over fiber glass will basically stop the thermo siphon of the air,

that is my opinion
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Cellulose......

Attic's, should be done again if someone goes crawling around up there, this causes compact, then you'll lose you R rating....

Cellulose is friendlier too......
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Another vote for cellulose.

You may want to consider doing it yourself. I did my house attic and added 24" to the existing insulation, blew in 12" in my garage attic, and it was still cost me less than what a contractor wanted to add only 12" to my house attic. It took less than 2 hours and I only needed one helper to keep the hopper full. You carry a switch with you int the attic to turn the blower on and off. Just be sure to wear a dust mask.

Comment

a small set of the two way sports man radios are nice so if some thing happens you can communicate, one can get the radios so low cost any more, usually for less than $20
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I went with cellulose.
              I'm not sure if someone told me this or it's actually in the directions, but it was recommended that after a year or so to add another 6".

I waited 2yrs and noticed a lot of spots (on edges mostly) that I thought I got pretty good because it is so fluffy at first. After 2yrs that fluff settled enough to expose the thin spots.

Some cellulose carry the "Energy Star Rating". With all the tax breaks etc..associated with conservation you may want to look into whether or not you qualify for anything if you use cellulose???????
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                I went with cellulose.

Some cellulose carry the "Energy Star Rating". With all the tax breaks etc..associated with conservation you may want to look into whether or not you qualify for anything if you use cellulose???????

Good point. Be sure to check out CanSpec http://www.canspecinspection.com/ before you do anything. THIS IS NOT SPAM. They'll check out you existing insulation and reassess it when you're done. I did lots of work modifying insulation on my house and ended up with $4100.00 in grants. They charge around $300.00 to do the assessing so if you're doing attic only it may not be worth while for you. I think I got about $400.00 for upgrading my attic.

Comment

Cellulose with out a doubt.

The most bang for your energy saving buck would be to air seal any bypasses in your attic.

Use 2-part foam, rigid foam insulation and caulk anything to stop air flow and then insulate to an R-50 with blown cellulose.

Comment

I will soon have all three. I now have glass batts with cellulose on top and Tuesday I'm having foam insulation installed in the rafters to stop the radiant heat penetration.

Comment

Working...
                    X