X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotten brick mould/door jam

I've got to replace some rotten wood around an exterior door. The brick mould is no problem. The door jamb, on the other hand, scares me. The right side of the door (non hinge side) is the jamb side that is rotten. I was at HD yesterday and found a PVC replacement jamb kit for an exterior door. If I carefully remove the interior trim, remove the brick mould and then the rotten piece of jamb, may I just substitute the piece I bought for the piece I removed? Perhaps I'm over analyzing this...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Rotten brick mould/door jam

It depends on a lot of things.

Newer jambs tend to have the foam weatherstripping the presses into the slot. A lot of older jambs used other types of weatherstripping. They might not be compatible. If they are compatible, then it's certainly an option. It might still have to be slightly modified depending on the profile of one jamb VS the other one.

I've actually been in situations where I just had to cut my own jamb piece and just replace a section that was rotted out. It can be pre-treated so that it is more resistant to rot by priming end grain and all other surfaces, exposed or not.

Comment

If there is enough rot that you want to replace the jamb I would suggest you pull the entire door out and evaluate how far the rot goes. Fix it right before there is damage to the structure. If the door is nothing too special consider a new prehung steel exterior door assembly

Comment

Ya, i am also agree if you have enough rot that you want to replace the jamp I would suggest you pull the entire door out.
        Ok !

Comment

Working...
        X