X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundations - arctic style

this is the latest design for foundations up here.

it seems to work pretty good.

the problem we're faced up here is frost heaving in the fall time.

with our continous winds, leakage wastes alot of fuel.

this frame work is under a five plex.

Vince
    Attached Files

Re: Foundations - arctic style

Is this galvanize tubing?
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
      this is the latest design for foundations up here.

it seems to work pretty good.

the problem we're faced up here is frost heaving in the fall time.

with our continous winds, leakage wastes alot of fuel.

this frame work is under a five plex.

Vince
      Is it adjustable?

Comment

Interesting. So, this lets the snow blow through without accumulating.

I would love to live up in arctic for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl762 View Post
          I would love to live up in arctic for a while.

Are you insane???
          I would love to live in the Arctic a while as well. As long as awhile consist of one minute or less

Vince is only there because years and years ago the town leaders burned all the maps, and told all their people the world is flat, so they wouldn't leave.
          "But he has the internet", you say? Yes, he does, but he thinks we all live next door.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            Is this galvanize tubing?
            yes it is.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
              Is it adjustable?
              this particular design is none adjustable other than the screws for the footing.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip
                Is the building modular?

Is a frost heave like a earthquake?
                the building is stick built.

frost heaving happens very slowly. it's when the ground under the top frozen layer pushes up against frozen layer. like it's being compressed between the two layers of frozen ground.

clear as mud?

Vince

Comment

Are you insane???
                  I would love to live in the Arctic a while as well. As long as awhile consist of one minute or less
                  Remember getting off a C141 up at Wainwright when in the service. The cold literally took our breath away. After some acclimation, I loved it up there. In fact, we camped out for a month, during January, 60 miles outside of Fairbanks in tents, up to our Teats in snow.

Yes, I AM INSANE!!!!!
                  Last edited by Carl762; 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I also lived uo there for 2 yrs, Fairbanks and North Pole. Worked on Eilson AFB doing Heating/Plumbing. The cold was what ran me off from Alaska, believe me, I to remember the frigging temps that were there. Unless you experience it, you really have no clue as to what it's like.... Brrrrrr!!!!!!!
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I visited with the family about 3-4 times prior to my military trip up there. Remember having to plug the car in, when parking. We installed a block heater on our 4-cyl Mercedes 190D. My dad's Air Force bud owns a restaurant/bar on Main Street, downtown Fairbanks.

Remember vividly, leaving building, walking head into wind and feeling every hair exposed on my body instantly freeze. A mustache was like having a popsickle on my upper lip.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl762 View Post
                        I visited with the family about 3-4 times prior to my military trip up there. Remember having to plug the car in, when parking. We installed a block heater on our 4-cyl Mercedes 190D. My dad's Air Force bud owns a restaurant/bar on Main Street, downtown Fairbanks.

Remember vividly, leaving building, walking head into wind and feeling every hair exposed on my body instantly freeze. A mustache was like having a popsickle on my upper lip.

I remember all of that, plus interior car heaters (vinyls & leather would crack, same as dash boards), battery blankets, 60 below leaving the car running, block heater, circulating heater. I paid $700.00 a month for an 8' x 16' trailer, plus heat and utilities (between North Pole and Eilson AFB). Eventually, shacked up w/2 other coworkers and lived in a 4 bedroom log home in North Pole ($1400.00 a month for each of us). Mustache and Beard, would weight a pound after a period of time outdoors. Face frost at 60 below in minutes. Ya, good ole times. Food, outrageous prices, as well as fuel, compared to the lower 48's.

Summer time, had to tape up tin foil on bedroom windows to be able to sleep. But, tons of overtime in the summer. I even got 2 rebates from the state, something like 4 grand each year for living there. Went on Wainright numerous time, Fredmyers, Food Factory (Philly steak sandwiches), Hells Angles bike rally, summers were decent up there.

Comment

Oh, yeah, the outrageous prices. wow.

Comment

Garager, you guys are talking about Alaska--like sunny Florida compared to where Vince lives! :-)

Comment

Reminiscing, that's all............

Comment

Working...
                              X