X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Window Trim over Stucco

I'm embarking on a project to install window trim on my exterior windows. Currently there is no trim around the windows and the house looks rather naked. The only problem I see is that the house is stucco. I'm not particularily fond of drilling into the stucco, but I see no other way to attach the window trim otherwise.

Has anyone taken on such a project? Is it OK to drill into stucco if I seal up each hole with silicone?

Thanks for any and all help.

Re: Exterior Window Trim over Stucco

I can see the "naked" look, but I really can't endorse the idea of putting wood trim over the stucco. First, it will be difficult to seal the top to prevent water from getting behind the wood, even if you use a good sealant. Stucco has a tendancy to hold moisture when it comes in contact with wood, so rot problems are very possible. Have you thought about shutters to dress the house up? They can be mounted with an air space behind them. And yes, you can drill into stucco to anchor. Use a silicone to seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      I can see the "naked" look, but I really can't endorse the idea of putting wood trim over the stucco. First, it will be difficult to seal the top to prevent water from getting behind the wood, even if you use a good sealant. Stucco has a tendancy to hold moisture when it comes in contact with wood, so rot problems are very possible. Have you thought about shutters to dress the house up? They can be mounted with an air space behind them. And yes, you can drill into stucco to anchor. Use a silicone to seal.

I agree w/the kid.........
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

There are products specifically developed for stucco, utilizing a styrofoam core and an EIFS base coat. They can be attached using a chemical adhesive - the EIFS adhesive found at a local EIFS supplier.

Comment

Maybe something like vinyl shutters or trim? That should solve the rot issues. A good quality construction adhesive as opposed to fasteners would eliminate making holes in the stucco, although if the holes are filled with the proper sealant It should be fine.

Comment

Working...
          X