X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round poles....

I am adding a 10ft lean-to, porch, carport type of thing to the front of my shop. Its going to be the full 50ft length of the shop. I would rather use round posts (like utility poles) than standard dimensional lumber (4x4, 6x6) thats available at lumber yards. I think the poles would fit the look of what im going for better than the posts. Should I expect to spend more on round poles then I would for square posts? How much more? Are there any disadvantages to going with poles over posts?

Re: Round poles....

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
    I am adding a 10ft lean-to, porch, carport type of thing to the front of my shop. Its going to be the full 50ft length of the shop. I would rather use round posts (like utility poles) than standard dimensional lumber (4x4, 6x6) thats available at lumber yards. I think the poles would fit the look of what im going for better than the posts. Should I expect to spend more on round poles then I would for square posts? How much more? Are there any disadvantages to going with poles over posts?
    I'm a retired telephone lineman and I believe the poles are expensive. Why not find out where the nearest telephone or power(utility) garage is and talk to some of the foremen or workers? There were plenty of times we would remove an old pole that was still in good condition and replace it with a new one. You might be able to pick up a few pole for your needs real cheap. The poles are tapered larger on the bottom than top and treated with either creosote or gas to resist insects. Unless you can find some older cedar poles, they are heavy. There are marking on them which indicate diameter and length. The "class" is the diameter 00 is very thick and a class 7 would be thin, next is the length 30' to 45' is average range. So a class 7/30 would be a small narrow pole compared to a class 00/45. The poles would probably be overkill but they would last a real long time. Good luck.

Comment

Hydro poles are a great source, another place to look is out of town. Find a place that provide fence posts to farmers or a mill that makes cedar board, either will have the poles you need. If you have a permit you may want to ask the inspector if he will pass non graded lumber as a support structure

Comment

depending on codes the wood treatment may be a consideration, (also creosote, is hard to paint over),

round poles are some what harder to work with over flat/square in my opinion, when it comes to fastening lumber to them,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys... i know most utility poles are tapered, but I know I have seen poles that arent (mostly marine construction). I am mad at myself now because about 8 months ago I let about 30 of em get hauled off in a roll off container. Im not worried about inspection.

Comment

Have you considered using tube steel or pipe?
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Have you considered using tube steel or pipe?

Actually did consider that, but it doesnt fit the look I am going for. I have been searching for three days for poles with no luck. I knew of a few local places I could buy new ones, but thats not what I wanted nor what I wanted to spend money wise. I finally found a guy today that had a ton of used ones for sale. he wanted 25 a piece for the length I was looking for (12-15 ft) and 30 for the longer ones. He ended up selling me the longer ones for 20 each. Loaded them up for me and even cut them all to the same length. It worked out great because he has some work he needs done and is willing to trade me out for some poles if I need more... These Fu*kers are really heavy though and im not looking foward to digging the 4ft hole or standing them up in the hole.

My only concern is how tough its going to be to line them up at the tops. I know I can pull strings to get them square, but I know the poles wont be perfectly straight either.

Comment

Working...
              X