Chimney Rot - need advice guys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chimney Rot - need advice guys

Great post. Read the whole article. Sounds like the cause. Also sounds like I am in for an expensive fix

Originally posted by BHD View Post
    If the chimney is not lined, and gas fired appliances are being feed into it will more than likely only continue to deteriorate, as the temperature of the flue gasses are not enough to drive off the water, and they will eat the chimney from the inside out, and the mortar joints, gas burns and a major by product is water, as the hydrogen and Oxygen reunites during the burning of the fuel and air. It also creates an acid in its self.

and if an old oil burner was once used the sulfur on the inside may have turned into sulfuric acid and eating the masonry away,

this give a little more info, http://www.csia.org/HomeownerResourc...9/Default.aspx

http://www.ugi.com/gas/safety/chimney.html

http://www.hutchschimneyandstove.com/1130166315/

Comment

if you want to remove it that is all grunt work. tie off on a safety harness. put several layers of drop cloths or even better cardboard on roof. use a brick chisel and a small 2 lb or 3 lb mash hammer. drive chisel under a brick, it will pop up. drop it down chimney. i've done this for several people, who for what ever reason did not want anybody working on their roof. a few times i've done it from a bucket truck. breid

Comment

a chimney liner is used many times to "up grade" the old masonry chimney for the use of Gas appliances, many use stainless steel as it will last longer than most other types, of metal liners,

I know in our area few if any chimneys were built with any type of liner in them, and were original used for wood, coal, or cob burning stoves per electricity, and then when electricity came to the area, they started to switch over to gas and would many times use the same chimney to vent the furnace and water heater, but the moisture would eat out the mortar (the old lime based is really soft), and the old red clay brick like that would start to get soft as well, (it was never over hard to begin with),

and most have dropped some type liner or now run the sheet tin double wall chimney in the old masonry unit, or just remove the old masonry unit and use the area for new metal chimney of the correct type,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
          if you want to remove it that is all grunt work. tie off on a safety harness. put several layers of drop cloths or even better cardboard on roof. use a brick chisel and a small 2 lb or 3 lb mash hammer. drive chisel under a brick, it will pop up. drop it down chimney. i've done this for several people, who for what ever reason did not want anybody working on their roof. a few times i've done it from a bucket truck. breid
          another way depending on where the chimney is located is to make a chute of some plywood bottom lined tin flashing, and some 2x6 sides, and one can chip off a brick and drop it down on the chute and slide it off the roof into a refuse container, or area, saves the roof and work in moving the brick and motor (if need to be one can make the chute clear to the ground for safety reasons). some may depend on the steepness of the roof on how well it will work,

If you throw a rope over the roof to tie off, tie off to a solid stationary object, not a car or truck, that can or could be moved with you tied to it,
          Last edited by BHD; 07-20-2009, 09:38 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

there is another way to re do it they put an inflatable tube down and pour it with a grout .the grout will also help fill the cracks on the in side of the chimney and help holed it together .talk to a chimney person for this .we have used this a couple times
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

is that chimney use for a fireplace (wood burning) or gas appliances like a hot water/mid efficiency furnace or boiler?

if it's that latter, it might be cheaper to get a b-vent ran on the exterior of the house up through the roof (if you got a larger soffit overhang)

Comment

No fire place. Just 2 gas appliances.

Originally posted by Athanatos View Post
                is that chimney use for a fireplace (wood burning) or gas appliances like a hot water/mid efficiency furnace or boiler?

if it's that latter, it might be cheaper to get a b-vent ran on the exterior of the house up through the roof (if you got a larger soffit overhang)

Comment

BHD, hit it right on the head. We had a discussion in class yesterday on what is happening to Josh's chimney. You are more than likely having down draft going on. When sulfuric acid and moisture mixes together and you have a down draft occurring, this will push the acid vapors down and through the walls of your chimney. As this happens through a period of time, your bricks will start to deteriorate, flaking will occur and if this happens at the base of your chimney, the down draft is strong. Which can be a major hazard to your health, let alone your chimney.

From my understanding in this discussion (which I am not a Brick Layer or an Engineer), this is usually something that happens more at the top of the chimney. Because most chimney's will still have decent ventilation going on, with only a small amount of down draft, thus the top of the chimney will start to flake apart. So now Josh, I do believe the design of your chimney is causing the problem. My instructor said, that most chimney's that are older, has designing issues going on.

Great sites you found there BHD. And great call on Josh's problem. This is all new to me, about the sulfuric acid and vapors and what the down draft can do, we are never to old to learn something new and this one I won't forget about......
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X