How are architects typically paid?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Architects?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    How are architects typically paid?

Thanks.

J.C.

Depends, do they have your own practice or work for someone else. It's kinda like master plumber or a journeyman. One can be as equally skilled as the other, but the MP or Architect holds a license.

Most times it's a percentage of the project cost, Project Managers will many times negotiate a fee based on percentage of the project. Value Engineering firms usually work for a good size cut of whatever amount they save the client. Say they trim $1M off the cost of a project w/o affecting the quality or functionality of the finished project, they might try for as much as 35 or 40% of that million, leaving the client with a $.6M savings.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I have built - owned - two Country Clubs. In both cases the architect charged 10% of the projected, COMPLETED VALUE of the projects. E.g. the project, on completion, is worth $1,000,000, the architects fee is $100,000. Building architects for additions to and remodeling of homes typically charge 10% of the COST of the project not the completed, upgraded value. E.g. after completion the value of the house raises by $60,000 but the cost of the project is only $50,000 the architects fee is $5,000. In every case my association with architects has been positive. They have a wealth of information and do not complain when rework of plans is necessary.

Value engineering is a sore subject for me, and maybe grist for another mill. In many cases you look at the plans, suggest ways to enhance the project and lower the costs. Then the bids are all thrown out, the project rebid incorporating the cost savings you have suggested and you don't get the new bid. I usually hope for another project from the same bidding entity where I can see there are errors and hope to ram it to them on the change orders. Revenge, while it doesn't happen often, is sweet.

Comment

The reason I asked is I was doing a repair at a church's building and checked everything over.

I began to notice that everything plumbing related was unnecessarily overdone.

The water heater is WAY too large for their purposes. Circulating loop AND point of use water heaters.

Don't know much about HVAC but it looks like a monster system. I ask who did all of this and why was it done this way as I know many of the locals.

I was told everything was Architect specified. And the building went way over budget.

I was wondering if Architects were paid based on costs of the project. Seemed like an unfair conflict of interest in this particular case.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Architect and his unlicensed wife(although working and invoicing in the capacity of a General Contractor).
          Just got booted off the 12,000,000 penthouse project.
          Kept drawing changes.Owner got fed up.
          Two years since I first demo'd and they were still trying to get out of drywalling stage.Utah kept cutting holes
          Oh well,I'm sure they got plenty out of that cash cow.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            The reason I asked is I was doing a repair at a church's building and checked everything over.

I began to notice that everything plumbing related was unnecessarily overdone.

The water heater is WAY too large for their purposes. Circulating loop AND point of use water heaters.

Don't know much about HVAC but it looks like a monster system. I ask who did all of this and why was it done this way as I know many of the locals.

I was told everything was Architect specified. And the building went way over budget.

I was wondering if Architects were paid based on costs of the project. Seemed like an unfair conflict of interest in this particular case.

Thanks.

J.C.
            When you don't know what you are doing you over-engineer it to be safe. Bigger is usually seen as better in the eyes of most designers and clients.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
            X