X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Wall Hole Filler

I have a wall made using red bricks where I drilled several holes 1-1/2" diameter through the wall for something. Now I no longer want the holes in the wall and wish to fill them in. What do you recommend where I want the repair to pretty much match the bricks? Morter mix would work but it will look like *&^%$ when I'm done.

Re: Brick Wall Hole Filler

What if you took some extra brick and pound it into dust, then mix that in mortar and fill the holes. Or use any of the available color additives for grout or mortar to match the brick color. After you fill let it setup for a few minutes, then rub with a dry brick face over the area to give it some texture that will resemble the brick and blend the color into the existing brick.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-01-2009, 11:46 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Good ideas there. I could smash and crush a brink into coarse powder. I'm hoping for a lazy hound's product where I put some in a paper pail, add water, mix and use it. This doesn't have to be perfect but I want my 1/2 @$$ work to not look too bad either.

Comment

If you drill holes in the rest of the bricks those will match then.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
          If you drill holes in the rest of the bricks those will match then.
          That would be fun but in this case it's a

Back to Bob D for a minute. Actually I have a really crazy idea thinking about it. Rustoleum Red Rust primer is pretty close in color to my old bricks. I could just paint the patch work and I bet it wouldn't look too bad. Woussko = Bad, lazy and crazy all in one.

Thanks for the idea and I'm sure I'll get it good enough soon. Getting my old brain to properly function is not an easy task now days.
          Last edited by Woussko; 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

There is a profound beauty to the thinking and decision making on this forum. I think all of you guys should have been invited to the white house for that beer fest!....Ray

Comment

You can buy brick dust and mix it with a little mortar mix. It's kind of a powder dye. I did this hundreds of times when filling in holes after taking down cable hardware. Not sure if home depot sells it but it is made and it does a nice job. Frank. Maybe a cement dye would do the job?

Comment

I ended up using just mortar mix with water. Then I figured the brick wall really would look much better if all white. I think sometime weather permitting I'll pressure wash the wall, let it dry and then think if I really want to paint it white or just touch up the patch work. I do realize it won't be easy to keep a painted brick wall looking good long term.

Comment

I, personally, would not paint the brick. You could cut the brick with the holes in them out and replace them with new brick. The easy way to cut the "holey" ones out is to cut the mortar joints with a masonry or diamond blade and tool in new brick and mortar. My reason for not painting brick is that once you paint them you have created a maintenance problem and you will have to keep repainting them every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by engineer View Post
                    My reason for not painting brick is that once you paint them you have created a maintenance problem and you will have to keep repainting them every so often.
                    Like every two years or so. Been there and it's no fun.

Comment

Buy a couple veneer bricks like they use inside to look like a brick wall. Use a hole saw to cut round plugs to fit in the holes after mostly filling with mortar or concrete. Hole saw or tile saw to cut the plugs.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                      X