Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the Heck is this??? Weird foundation

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    It would be a great time to tar that foundation wall. That would seal the wall permanently.

Dirty job but that's what they do on all new foundations.
    Yeah, that's sort of what we talked about when we saw it in person while at the RoundUp. To use some sort of a "BlueSkin" spray-on polyurethane membrane, to water-tight it up. And then to put in a big-O perforated tubing for seepage away from the house, and then with some A-gravel backfill, topped off by some of the dirt.

Like Rick said, pictures don't do it justice - it's amazing to see, when you're standing at the end of his porch, looking at the minimal space that's down there, and the depth of the hole and the amount of dirt that's been dug up. And then, you stand there looking at Josh, and how this very, very tall guy can do this. Oi, my back just ached thinking about that comparison. One heck of a job thus far.

Comment

I am definitely going to tar it. The problem is that the bottom of the foundation is where all the water is seeping in. I need to make sure I make that rock solid before I patch.

gotta do this one right the first time. I aint digging it up again my shoulders hurt.

Comment

You may want to consider a dimpled membrane as well as tar.

Comment

That's a great diagram, Brooks. That was what I was trying (failing?) to describe to Josh when we were over there, with the gravel and big-O piping.

I myself prefer the BlueSkin stuff over tar. I find that while tar is cheaper, if people don't bother with the dimpled membrane, that the tar has a tendency to dry out, crack, wear off of the concrete, etc. That BlueSkin (or any other brand/type of spray-on polyurethane coating) is designed specifically for this, and works like a latex balloon, stretching and moving to accomodate the shifting/stresses/changes of a house's foundation. IE - if a crack opens up in the foundation down the road, the tar will crack along with the cement, while the BlueSkin has a tendency to remain consistent, and will stretch with the crack and not separate.

But yes, the dimpled membrane is a great thing to have. And it sounded to me from talking with Josh that day, that he's not going to skimp on the gravel, which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            I am definitely going to tar it. The problem is that the bottom of the foundation is where all the water is seeping in. I need to make sure I make that rock solid before I patch.

gotta do this one right the first time. I aint digging it up again my shoulders hurt.
            Like that picture from WBrooks shows, just make sure that your big-O seepage tubing rests in gravel, and both are below the grade level of your foundation. That will cure these ills. Ibuprofen will work for the shoulders.

Comment

I agree with the BlueSkin recommendation - it's the best stuff I've encountered in my area. Great on foundations as well as in roofing applications as well. Nice and sticky and flexible.
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                I need to post the most recent pictures of it completely cleaned out. I also went down and scrubbed the walls completely clean so I can apply some sealant eventually.

Meeting with the mason today at 3:30 (sneaking out of work for 30 minutes )

Can't wait to get this fixed up and covered up.

Josh

That doesn't like like any fun but way to go, do it right and taking care of business. It seems so many times people want a quick fix that will last a couple of years because they think that they can leave it to the next home owner to deal with it.

Thanks for the visuals I know it helped me understand the situation.

Dan

Comment

So here is the professional opinion from my the mason.

1) Repour the footer along the whole length of the wall. If the old footer is crumbling take off what can be taken out by hand before pouring.

2) Put in footer tile outside of footer and fill with gravel up to top of new footer.

3) jet wash the wall completely clean (allowing water to drain out through footer tile)

4) Mortar in a sweep to bridge from the wall over to the edge of the footer so all water drops into tile.

5) Spread mortar over entire wall up to top

6) Coat entire wall and sweep with tar.

7) Back fill with stone up to top or near top.

PS... I'll obviously remove the 2x12 ;-)
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like the idea of pouring a new footer but I think you may want to consider doing this in sections. If the material is as loose as you describe there may be very little holding up the wall, if the footer collapses enough you could loose the wall especially with all the excavation (read disaster).
                    If the first floor joists are supported by this wall I would consider building a 2X6 supporting wall in the basement to support the first floor in case the wall does give.
                    Not sure about the mortar mix to create a slope. If the new footer is 2" or more from the wall it is very likely to crack. I would just slope the pour. If you are ordering small loads (1M or so) spec a 30 slump, I learned this the hard way. If the guy is running 9 M loads and then gets pulled from the job site to run your 1 M load he has likely washed out expecting a 9M load and you will end up with pea soup, had to send the load back. If you spec 30 you can always add water.
                    I would pour the footer with a slope to shed water (no need for 45 degrees - 5 is lots) spray with Blueskin etc and then use the dimple membrane for overkill.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not too overjoyed about the added cement idea. I think it's overkill, and like WBrooks said, if things are done wrong, you could end up separating the wall from the footer. IMO, adding that cement can just lead to multiple other areas to crack and pool water up against the blocks. Me personally, I would just scrap doing anything added with cement, aside from using hydraulic to shore up the cracks prior to spraying.

Comment

So what remedies do you guys like?

Help me see what you like to see.

Comment

Me myself (I think I already stated some of this earlier in thread, but I'm confusing sometimes ):
                          1. Hole already dug. Check.
                          2. Make sure trench/hole is dug slightly below level of foundation/footer, by a few inches (4 to 6).
                          3. Power wash cement of foundation.
                          4. After foundation dry from washing, use hydraulic cement to patch up all visible cracks and damage. (Yes, if you have enough and wish to do so, you can use some of this to patch up and add onto the broken/missing/angled footer.
                          5. Spray on BlueSkin membrane.
                          6. Installed dimpled membrane (not really needed with BlueSkin, but a plus). If not using BlueSkin, and using a tar instead, then definitely use dimpled membrane in conjunction with tar.
                          7. Put an inch or two of "A" gravel (or 3/4 crush, if you wish) in the bottom.
                          8. Put in 4" or 6" big-O pipe (perforated drainage piping), with the white silt sleeving. As Josh and I talked about, empty into storm drain (if his house has one), or sump pump system to be installed, or into seepage of more big-O pipe out through his front yard as we had looked at while there, with lots more gravel/seepage.
                          9. Big-O seepage piping should rest in gravel and the bottom of the piping should be just below grade level of foundation/footing, about 2 or 3 inches below.
                          10. Cover with 1' to 3' of same "A"-gravel or 3/4" crushed stone.
                          11. Top with dirt dug from hole. Tamp well, and ensure "slight" slopage away from house.
                          12. Stand around and be proud.
                          13. Show wife and family and friends.
                          14. Request cold beer from wife, as congratulations for "job well done".
                          15. Dump extra dirt in the lawn of a neighbour that you don't like. Put a little sign in it that says, "Here lays old Winston..." Add some chicken bones sticking out of it for posterity, if you wish.
                          16. Post pictures on Ridgid Forum for all to see.
                          Last edited by canucksartech; 09-21-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I like it, but I always use 3/4 clear and deer bones . We have a pit around here that should have closed many years ago, they have clay content in their A gravel. We eventually found this out from an old timer but saw it visually first hand in my own driveway. The first load came from a good pit and the second from the contaminated pit, when it rains hard half of my driveway puddles up.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                              I like it, but I always use 3/4 clear and deer bones . We have a pit around here that should have closed many years ago, they have clay content in their A gravel. We eventually found this out from an old timer but saw it visually first hand in my own driveway. The first load came from a good pit and the second from the contaminated pit, when it rains hard half of my driveway puddles up.
                              Yeah, I like to use 3/4" crushed instead of "A"-gravel (for those that don't know, 3/4" crushed is larger gravel "stones" if you will, with nearly no or less small particulate pieces compared to "A"-gravel). But, it's also about 1/4 to 1/3 more costly - some people don't like/want the added cost. I think it's better, especially in a situation like this, but either will do. I would definitely go with 3/4" crushed if the big-O pipe doesn't have the silt sleeve/cover to it (some places it may be hard to find that way). But as long as you have the silt sleeve, A-gravel would work too.

I know what you're saying about crap "A"-gravel. I hate going to a place to pick up a load, and lo and behold, it looks like you're buying sand or powdered clay with a few lonely stones in it.
                              Last edited by canucksartech; 09-22-2009, 08:38 AM.

Comment

My question is... how do you seal the gaps between the sheets of blue skin? We are talking about the stuff that Henry makes right? http://www.henry.com/blue_skin_henry/

Comment

Working...
                                X