X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tinmack
    replied
    Re: What the Heck is this??? Weird foundation

I agree with the BlueSkin recommendation - it's the best stuff I've encountered in my area. Great on foundations as well as in roofing applications as well. Nice and sticky and flexible.

Leave a comment:

• canucksartech
    replied

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    I am definitely going to tar it. The problem is that the bottom of the foundation is where all the water is seeping in. I need to make sure I make that rock solid before I patch.

gotta do this one right the first time. I aint digging it up again my shoulders hurt.
    Like that picture from WBrooks shows, just make sure that your big-O seepage tubing rests in gravel, and both are below the grade level of your foundation. That will cure these ills. Ibuprofen will work for the shoulders.

Leave a comment:

• canucksartech
    replied

That's a great diagram, Brooks. That was what I was trying (failing?) to describe to Josh when we were over there, with the gravel and big-O piping.

I myself prefer the BlueSkin stuff over tar. I find that while tar is cheaper, if people don't bother with the dimpled membrane, that the tar has a tendency to dry out, crack, wear off of the concrete, etc. That BlueSkin (or any other brand/type of spray-on polyurethane coating) is designed specifically for this, and works like a latex balloon, stretching and moving to accomodate the shifting/stresses/changes of a house's foundation. IE - if a crack opens up in the foundation down the road, the tar will crack along with the cement, while the BlueSkin has a tendency to remain consistent, and will stretch with the crack and not separate.

But yes, the dimpled membrane is a great thing to have. And it sounded to me from talking with Josh that day, that he's not going to skimp on the gravel, which is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• wbrooks
    replied

You may want to consider a dimpled membrane as well as tar.

Leave a comment:

• Josh
    replied

I am definitely going to tar it. The problem is that the bottom of the foundation is where all the water is seeping in. I need to make sure I make that rock solid before I patch.

gotta do this one right the first time. I aint digging it up again my shoulders hurt.

Leave a comment:

• canucksartech
    replied

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    It would be a great time to tar that foundation wall. That would seal the wall permanently.

Dirty job but that's what they do on all new foundations.
    Yeah, that's sort of what we talked about when we saw it in person while at the RoundUp. To use some sort of a "BlueSkin" spray-on polyurethane membrane, to water-tight it up. And then to put in a big-O perforated tubing for seepage away from the house, and then with some A-gravel backfill, topped off by some of the dirt.

Like Rick said, pictures don't do it justice - it's amazing to see, when you're standing at the end of his porch, looking at the minimal space that's down there, and the depth of the hole and the amount of dirt that's been dug up. And then, you stand there looking at Josh, and how this very, very tall guy can do this. Oi, my back just ached thinking about that comparison. One heck of a job thus far.

Leave a comment:

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    replied

It would be a great time to tar that foundation wall. That would seal the wall permanently.

Dirty job but that's what they do on all new foundations.

Leave a comment:

• Josh
    replied

I need to post the most recent pictures of it completely cleaned out. I also went down and scrubbed the walls completely clean so I can apply some sealant eventually.

Meeting with the mason today at 3:30 (sneaking out of work for 30 minutes )

Can't wait to get this fixed up and covered up.

Josh

Leave a comment:

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    replied

That would take me two bottles of medication and a day in my jacuzzi to accomplish that feat.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

got to give credit to josh for taking on this monster. nobody imagened the extent of the ditch josh dug out under his porch. he dug deep, long and not a very wide ditch.

josh if you ever give up your day job anyone of us would be thrilled to hire you for ditch digging skills

your computer and camera skills would just be a bonus

last time i posted pictures of a ditch, you guys went off on adam

this time i left out the digger

rick.

easily 7-8' deep and 25' long. maybe 18'' wide.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-21-2009, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Josh
    replied

After digging up the whole wall it appears that there is a "footer" or at least was one. The footer or cement that is there is falling apart like sand. There are some semi solid pieces of it and I have gone to great lengths to make sure I keep whatever in tact I can.

I am having a mason friend come out and look at it. This is definitely where all the moisture is getting in. My goal is to get this one sured up and covered by the end of the week.

There still is an angled course under the whole thing. Seems like a moronic way to lay the foundation :-/

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• canucksartech
    replied

I too have seen a few places around southwestern Ontario that have this, all in areas that are very old construction, and with sandy soil types.

All I can say is, no matter how weird and unsound it looks to us, if it's holding and working all these years, it can't be 100% bad. Now, obviously you have the issue with this cracking happening to your foundation wall. For where you are, Josh, with the weather that we have around the great lakes here, you've been going the right route so far, with patching things with the hydraulic cement. Since you have it all dug up mostly, I would expose all you can on that wall, and once you patch the cracks with cement, I would apply a coating of the spray-on elastomeric waterproofing - the "blue skin" type of stuff. Then, depending on how deep you've gone, it may be beneficial to re-do/do your seepage tiling, and backfill with gravel before the dirt.

I can't remember whether or not you had a lot of water penetration or not, which these cures will fix. If it's just a shifting issue that's caused the crack (ie - no water penetration repeatedly), then just patching and standard fixing will work good.

The objective is to fix the cause of the damage. If it's water, then you need to assure adequate drainage and protection. But if it's ground shifting over time that's caused a stress crack, then you're about as far as you can take it right now, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• darius
    replied

I've seen structures without footing. Actually, without a foundation to speak of.

Around late 1980's I worked on a long building subdivided into smaller stores. The inspector stopped all work and ordered the whole building to be brought up to code. He must have known about the practice in the area (a place in Long Island, NY) as he went straight for the kill. Long story short, there were 5 layers of 12" 90% cinder blocks with the first row sitting at about a foot below the grade. A one story structure was erected on top of this 5 foot tall wall. The structure was about 60 years old and there appeared to be no structural issues.

I was later told that if the soil is sandy (preferably pure sand) then the foundation was sometimes eliminated from the building plans. The thing is that structures erected on sand settle evenly. Clay soils vary in density density within relatively small areas so the settling is uneven and far more risky than it is on sand.

Leave a comment:

• toolaholic
    replied

New to Me. I've been building 48 years. Not Good

Leave a comment:

• Josh
    replied

1/2 cracks in the basement walls.. no cracks upstairs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X